42. My head & my heart

It is officially the slowest updated fanfiction of all time.
And I can't stop to write a chapter, so I just cut it in half, haha.

*

On Friday, it was lunchtime when I first saw Daniel. By that time I didn't even look for him anymore, I gave up entirely.

I just hoped this weekend would pass as soon as possible so we could be together.

I was queuing in the cafeteria but couldn't miss that they were already there - Daniel talking to his aerodynamics engineer Phil. He must have noticed me too. He quickly excused himself as soon as he set his eyes on me, standing up and stepping close. 

"Hi," he grinned, eyeing me head to toe. He stood right next to me, so close I felt his warmth on my arm. It was awkward, his unashamed, intense stare, and how there should have been much more done about it - so sad but we didn't. 

Couldn't.

"Hi," I said, and looked straight at his lips. Such a kind smile, with those plush, absolutely kissable lips - 

I gulped as he spoke and woke me up from daydreaming.

"Uhm, how was your night?" He asked, strangely over gesticulating with his hands. I blinked a couple times to process the question. I quickly placed it - he might have been referring to my time with Vicki. He didn't mean my meeting with Charles - that was sure. 

"Err, it was nice," I quickly mumbled "you know, the usual". 

I hoped the subject of letting him spend the rest of the night alone would be off the table then. But he was desperate to continue our chat.

"Vicki told me she was there until midnight, sounds fun," he added with a kind smile. 

"Hey doc! You are holding up the line!" I heard a voice from behind me. I turned and saw five or six of Max's mechanics queuing behind us, grinning like a bunch of boy scouts. 

"I, yeah, sorry," I said, and turned crimson. I quickly blinked at the counter to choose something. 

"Take the lasagna." 

Daniel leaned in, breathing into my ears just as if a little devil suggesting guilty pleasures. It made me giggle. 

"Any good?" I smirked back at him. 

He straightened up and shrugged - the guilty pleasure part evaporated at once.

"Have absolutely no idea babe, for lunch I consumed some wonderful, nutritious kale,"  he grimaced. 

I laughed out again as I took the plate and quickly made my way to sit with Lee while Daniel went back to Phil. 

I tried bad not to realise that he just casually called me babe

I was sure it was just him being his casual self and it didn't mean anything but it was just enough to make my heart go racing. I had no idea how to feel about that, so I just tried to calm myself down by dedicating all my focus to Lee and something totally irrelevant he was explaining. 

When they finished Daniel walked by me and as he passed me I felt his hand barely, but surely touching my back. It was an innocent little gesture, still it helped so much easing up, burying myself into a sweet wave of goosebumps as I grinned at my lasagna.