25. Boyfriend

Happy weekend to everyone! 🤗
I gift you - I think - my longest chapter ever.
I hope you'll like it. 💁

"So you are Charles Leclerc's girlfriend, right?"

You know in our body at the nerve endings there are thousands of little vesicles full of adrenaline and noradrenaline. They are produced only to be waiting for the right stimulus to burst out into the synaptic cleft and hence also to the bloodstream to generally prepare our body for an imminent threat. These chemicals then achieve to raise the blood pressure, along with the heart rate, dilate your pupils, cause sweating and dry mouth - so that you can be prepared to "fight or flight" whenever you are in need. Sympathetic nervous system, at its best.

Now, that - THAT one question of that journalist was exactly the right stimulus. When I heard him asking if I was Charles's girlfriend, my heart skipped a beat. Then another. Then I started to hear thuds in my ears, incredibly fast and I felt blood flood my brain. I couldn't think at all, and I didn't know either if I'd faint or vomit first.

Fight or flight? Good question.

I could only blink at him at that moment.

"What? Why would she be? Leave her alone, you dumbass" Max stepped next to me, and gently pushed me towards the exit to leave the place.

God, he is still nice to me. He just doesn't deserve this.

I gulped, and looked at him.

"Max," I cleared my throat. "I..., well," I mumbled.

"It's true, right?" Daniel asked quietly. He was walking next to us, and watched me with his lovely, brown eyes. They were anything but bright this time.

I looked down and nodded curtly. Daniel scoffed and while shaking his head he continued to walk towards the exit.

I watched him leave and wanted to say something desperately - but I still wasn't able to speak.

"No, I'm not believing this. It's just a bad joke, which is - by the way - not funny at all Clara," Max was still standing next to me, and he refused to realise the situation.

"I don't know how this happened," I sighed. "I'm so sorry, Max."

He gave me a side glance, and watched me suspiciously.

"How exactly is that you don't know? I guess you were there," he scoffed.

"And why Leclerc? God," now he sighed too. "I'm not going to discuss this here," he looked around. The reporters were still lurking around, and also some fans were waiting for their favourites to give autographs - in vain.

"Come on, the cars are waiting," Vicki hurried us, while furiously browsing on her phone.

When I passed her she made.me stop and turned her phone to me.

"I guess you haven't seen these. It's out there, all over social media," she grimaced.

I really didn't need more than what she just showed me. It was her instagram, and it was full of pictures about me - and Charles.

On one, we were kissing each other furiously at the exit of the paddock in Monaco.

God, it was when he said he loves me.

Then on another one he held me close, standing on the terrace of his apartment.

And a third one - which was dark and blurry - was taken on the streets of Monaco where we were strolling while holding hands.