33. Good things fall apart

Hi to everyone! First of all, I want to thank you for all the messages I've recieved, they make my heart race with joy every time. And made me write a looong chapter again, so thank you.😚

Well, about the chapter. I wanted to split it in half, because its riddiculously long. And it's heavy reading. BUT. I had this chapter looong in my mind as a whole and didn't plan on arriving to this part at such time. Just one year after Anthoine passing. 💔 so if it happened like that, let's dedicate this chapter and read to him. The guys are racing for him this weekend - to show us he has to be remembered forever, but life must not be feared at any times.

I don't remember how or when I fell asleep that night.

I woke up the next morning, to the noises of Max having a shower.

I felt like shit, my eyes were swollen and hurt. After a couple of seconds as I called back the memories of last night my chest became rigid and felt the sting in my eyes once more.

No. No more crying.

I fell back to the soft, white cushion and covered myself with the blanket.

There. It'll be sure I stay safe like this.

After a few minutes Max came out of the shower. I heard him trying to be quiet but like that he was even noisier, especially when he nearly tripped over his own shoes which were left in the middle of the room.

"Shit!" I heard his muffled cursed

"At least now, I'm not the noisy one," I murmured half hidden under the blanket.

"Hey, you are awake," Max smiled. "I thought you'll be sleeping more. Did I wake you up?"

I uncovered myself and sighed long.

Max was sitting on his side of the bed, half dressed, his hair was still wet after the shower.

"No, you didn't," I pouted. "When do we need to leave?" I asked, because I knew he was going back to Monaco and I... Well I didn't know what I should do.

There was a two week long gap before Hungary - the last race before the summer break. I thought I could go back to Monaco with Max and spend some time with Victoria too.

But then I decided it was time for me to return to my rainy and gloomy home. It's been more than a month long since I haven't been there, and I felt I needed some time alone.

But before that, I knew what I should do - and the thought itself made my chest freeze.

"Do you want me to go with you?"

I heard Max speaking but I had no idea what he was referring to. I frowned at him.

"To speak to Leclerc?" He asked me annoyed like I was dumb and he was sating the obvious. I shook my head, because it'd be super weird.

"No, you already did so much for me," I smiled weakly. "Thank you, Max."

"Come here," he said and pulled me to a tight hug.

After I got myself to finally leave the bed, I searched for my phone, and saw I had three missed calls from Charles, the last one at 1am. To be honest, I was surprised there weren't more.

"I texted him to stop calling you," Max murmured indifferently.

I sent him a look, but deep down I was so grateful for him being by my side. He acted like being my brother, so protective and caring - but I also knew he secretly just loved the fact I was on my way to end things with Charles.