20. C'mon girl

Another Monaco chapter. Still no race in sight. Or is there? 😏🧐

"Girl, finally!" Victoria opened Max' door and hugged me. Soon, his brother came to greet me as well with an honest smile on his face.

"Clara, hi," he hugged me tight. "Come in, and make yourself home." He took over my luggage, and showed me around the house.

It turned out their mother went back to the Netherlands for the week, so there was only the two of them in that gigantic villa. In fact, that wasn't far from Charles's apartment, and that made me feel a sting of guilt. I just felt bad for leaving him pouting and I felt bad for acting here like I haven't spent the last days in his bed a couple of streets away.

Soon, Victoria made me forget about all that.

"So, I thought we go out to have dinner, how that sounds?"

My stomach rumbled on the thought of some tasty dinner so I nodded enthusiastically.

The three of us had a delicious meal at Max's favourite place by the sea. The restaurant was full, but we already had a reservation and probably got the best table in the house.

"So I have made some plans already," Max started proudly putting down his fork. "Tomorrow I have to work out in the morning, but then I can show you around. Maybe you can join me and Jake first, or go out shopping with Vic. And Sunday we can cruise around the bay on the yacht," he summed up the plans for the weekend.

A huge grin appeared on my face hearing that.

"Sounds perfect," I nodded. "Almost as perfect as this pasta is," I added.

We ordered two ridiculously expensive bottles of champagne, since Victoria was insisting on celebrating my arrival.

"To you, finally being here," she raised her glass and winked at me. I frowned. I wasn't sure she was just acting funny or tried to refer to something she knew. With that girl you'd never know.

"Cheers," Max smiled at me and we cling the glasses.

We had a pleasant chat during dinner, and surely we finished the two bottles. Victoria was speaking enthusiastically about her self designed clothing line, and told us all about how she launched the brand. I promised her I'd wear a piece next weekend.

We were already on our way back to the Verstappen house, quite tipsy when Charles called me. I muted my phone quickly, and I typed a text while walking, saying I'd call him later.

"So, this is the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas," Max spreaded his arms proudly, turning to me. He realised I wasn't really paying attention but typing fast on my phone. However, his mouth curved to a wide grin.

"So are you already texting each other?" He asked. Now, that made me raise my eyebrows.

"With who?" I asked. He looked at me confused.

"What?" He asked. It seemed like he wished he said nothing at all. He looked at Victoria for help.

"Who?" Now I was lost.

"God, no, they are not texting," Victoria turned back to us, sounding tipsy-annoyed.

"Why not?" Max sighed and continued his walk. "God, this is so frustrating."

Honestly, I lost track of their conversation. I had no idea what were they talking about, but I was convinced it was just some drunk double-talk. I peeked at my phone and finished my text to Charles.

The next morning, when I woke up Max was already gone cycling with Jake.

I got ready, and found Victoria sitting in the kitchen, scrolling on her phone.