38. Waves

Hi everyone! 😊 I am back with the next chapter. It's a shorter one, but you know, big things always have small beginnings. 😅

Anyway, please enjoy as I go back writing 😍 and giggling about the upcoming race this weekend. 😁

I was just getting ready by finishing the packing in the medical office. I sent Lee back to the hotel, and told him to get some rest. I wanted to spare him, as I could perfectly do the job myself.

I zipped up the last bag, and placed it in the corner of the room next to the others. They were going to be shipped to the next race - Suzuka, a couple of hours later. Sure, I was excited to discover however small part of Japan I could get my hands on in two weeks.

The race ended a couple hours ago. Hamilton won, Max only came in second but he managed to secure his advantage ahead of Charles, which made the whole team relieved. The only Ferrari points were achieved by Vettel, he came in 3nd and the young Monégasque DNF-ed from P6 in the last lap when he happened to get a puncture. I can't say I was happy for that, but still - I was relieved Max was obviously leading the competition.

I looked at the clock - it was quite late and the after race party was supposed to start soon, it was time to leave. So I reached for my backpack but as I turned, I froze on the spot.

Charles stood in the doorway, and I could see he was angry. His eyes were red and swollen, and his otherwise plump lips met making the thinnest line now.

I was so surprised he came here, to Red Bull - to my office, and at such a late time I even forgot to breathe. I just stood there, blinking at him.

"You know, I saw what you did," he murmured.

I blinked again. First I had no idea what he meant by that.

"After I thought we agreed not to announce anything," he continued.

Now, I knew. I closed my eyes for a second, then sighed.

"Charles, I didn't," I started, but he cut in.

"Don't think I'm a fool Clara. I can be young, but I know you arranged it this way," his eyes were lightning. "Nice comeback," he scoffed. "Now, I have to deal with my DNF and our breakup at the same time. Right at the championship final." He raised his voice, and looked getting angrier with each of his words.

I gulped. Well, I still thought I had to do that, and for my and Daniel's sake the sooner was better.

"I am sorry," I started, but he interrupted me again.

"And all this for Verstappen? You know he'd win without ruining me, but you just had to do that," he basically spat the words.

At that time I gave up even trying to talk to him. I crossed my arms on my chest, and waited for him to finish. Like a mother while her child is having a tantrum.

"You know I was head over heels for you Clara, I probably still am," he started to calm down, the rage of his voice was now shifted to bitterness. "And I thought you'd respect what we had by waiting a bit," he looked at me with his sad eyes.

Just when I thought about telling him about Daniel, his words hit me in the chest.

Does he still love me? Shit.

I knew that no passion nor sense will not make him understand why I made our breakup public with the help of Vicki.

I walked up to him, and gently placed my hand on his shoulder.

"It is not easy for any of us," I said. "Please believe that it has nothing to do with the championship."

He tilted his face to look me in the eye.