Chapter 46

TW:mentions of medical treatment, abuse, and SH

Kristin arrived quickly, with Techno behind her. He stood at the door, not coming close, but still an aching threat Tommy couldn't defend himself against. Kristin moved over to him, asking the questions he knew all too well. He had passed out plenty of times before. Usually it was bad because his parents were called and that just made it worse when he woke up. Kristin hadn't called them, which was weird because it was definitely something that could make her lose her job if found out. Tommy knew that because it was the same apology plenty of nurses had given him.

"I haven't called your parents yet, I didn't think you wanted me to, do you want me to?"

"It's fine," Tommy replied, his voice just as quiet as it had been while answering all the normal questions. He was distracted, watching Techno and Wilbur intently, preparing for danger. Maybe Tommy should've been paying more attention to the person trying to help him with his health, but that was too big a risk.

"Alright, well, I need to ask a favour of all of you," Kristin started slowly, and Tommy listened, waiting to discover what she was planning. Whatever it was it would probably hurt. Kristin hesitated for a second, before continuing, "Legally if I don't call a child's parent for something like this, I can get fired, and I will never be able to work as a school nurse again. I didn't call because Tommy seemed terrified at the thought of calling his parents, and he was safely breathing, however I do need you to keep this quiet. I hate that this is the case, but I hope you can trust my judgment on this being the better option. Please."

It didn't pass Tommy's notice when Kristin's voice cracked at the thought of loosing her job, nor the look of genuine fear filling her face.

"I won't tell anyone. Thank you for not calling them. It would've only worried them," Tommy said, trying to keep his voice stable, trying to hide his own terror, and the struggle of a lie that the last sentence was. He lied a lot about that sort of thing, so you'd think he'd be used to it, but he wasn't. He hated it. He wanted help and he wanted someone to know, but nobody could know, because nobody was safe. If he told the wrong person they'd know too much. Then they'd be far too dangerous. It was nothing but a bad idea.

"I won't either," Ranboo agreed, following Tommy.

"Of course I wouldn't," Wilbur added.

"And I was the one who told you not to, I'd be a hypocrite if I did tell anyone, and I'm not a fan of hypocrites," Techno finished from his spot by the door. Techno had told Kristin not to call Tommy's parents? Why? Had he wanted Tommy to be badly hurt? Had he wanted Tommy's parents to not be able to say goodbye if he'd been dying? Of course he hadn't been and Dream would have no interest in that, but Techno didn't know that. Did he? Techno knew a lot of things...

Tommy just wanted a reason. He knew he rarely got those, and could never ask for one, but everything was so weird. Everyone here was acting so... wrong? Usually when people acted like they cared, not everyone did it. Usually there was some sign. Usually they didn't show weakness, but that wasn't what was happening here. Techno had shown pain on his face, not just with his scarring, but whenever Tommy was scared of him Techno seemed... hurt? And Wilbur, Wilbur had admitted he couldn't keep up with Tommy when Tommy sprinted. Ranboo had seemed guilty about the note, and he hadn't hurt Tommy for panicking. Niki had given him food just because she could. Eret had offered to help in any way she could. Eret, Ranboo and Techno had all taken him to Tubbo's grave. None of them had hurt him. None of them had even seemed angry at him except that one time with Quackity, a situation Niki defused? It was wrong. It was weird. It was... Tommy didn't know what it was. He didn't know what to think.

"Thank you," Kristin said quietly, before taking a deep breath, and continuing at a more normal voice and tone, "I need to see Tommy alone for a minute, if you three could wait outside that would be good. Unless, Tommy, did you want anyone to stay?"

"I'm ok," Tommy replied quietly. It was dangerously close to asking for something if he did say someone. Plus if they attacked him, he'd be much more likely to be safer if it was only Kristin.c

The three filed out quietly, shutting the door behind them. Kristin watched them leave before turning back to Tommy.

"Do you mind taking your shirt off? I want to see how the bruising is going if that's ok."

"I'm watching it at home, I'm fine, it's much better now," Tommy replied, hoping to dissuade her from pressing for more. It didn't. Not at all.

"You fainted, which can be a sign of blood loss, so I need to check your arms at least. Outside that, it'll be easier now to see if theirs any more permanent damage that was hidden by the bruising, which while I can imagine is still there, it should be lessened somewhat."

Tommy hesitated, trying to come up with an argument that she wouldn't see as an argument, or a reason not to do it, but nothing came. He gave up, he knew it was hopeless. Slowly he pulllwd off his hoodie and shirt, revealing the bruising still splotching heavily across his torso, and stretching deep under the bandaging around his arms. There was a chance that Kristin wouldn't try to find out what was under those bandagings. There was a chance she wouldn't see the increase in cuts. Tommy had to hold onto that chance.

Words: 1000

A/N: I'm pretty sure lying down to edit this chapter wasn't the best idea as I fell asleep for a few minutes midway through- anyway, here's the update that I promised  you XD