Chapter 129

Puffy POV:

Why did Techno have to come and ask her this question now? Now when she had hit yet another dead end. Now when she didn't have the energy to fight him on it. Now when she knew there was no other option. Now when her emotions were clouding her judgment, but not so much that she thought her judgment was wrong. Now when it was almost Christmas and she still remembered the way Tommy's eyes would light up whenever he saw Christmas lights.

She knew Techno was right. She knew they wouldn't be able to save Tommy. Not the way they had been trying. She had to try something else, and maybe Techno was right. Maybe Techno could make it work.

"Fine, but you are taking a tracker with you," Puffy replied, her voice sharp and painful, knowing this was stupid, dangerous, insane even. It was crazy to let Dream out, but at this rate, with the lack of clear evidence against him for abusing Tommy, he'd get charged for assault and that would be about it. Probably only a year, and then Dream would be free anyway. At least this way they could have some control.

"Thank you Puff," Techno whispered, and Puffy's heart melted at the nickname. The one he had given her when he had struggled with the E sound at the end of her name back when they first met. He had only been a toddler when he had given it to her, but even now that he could speak perfectly, the nickname remained.

"I don't want to lose you Techno..." Puffy admitted, barely holding back her tears, "I don't want to lose you both."

"You won't, I'll bring him back. We'll both come back," Techno promised, but Puffy knew the promise wasn't much more then a simple hope. She should stop this now. She should stop it in its tracks, make sure Techno never thought of it again, but she didn't. She couldn't.

"Ok."

"Don't tell the others, not until I'm gone," Techno begged, the words barely audible, but still Puffy heard them. Still hated them.

"They need to know Tech, what if you don't make it back? They will want to say goodbye..."

"I'll leave them letters, but I can't tell them before I go. They won't let me leave, and I know I have to."

"Tell them you love them. Just do that for me. Make sure that they know you love them. Please Techno, I know too many kids who question if their parents chose to die to escape them. Don't do that to your family."

"I won't, I will talk to them, but I won't tell them what I'm going to do. Can you make this happen tomorrow? That will give me a day to write letters and say goodbye."

"Just... promise me you won't die Techno."

"I will do my best."

"Tech-"

"If they make me fight Tommy, I'm not going to, that's all. Anything else I will do to keep myself alive, but not that. Not Tommy."

"Don't let them know that he matters to you, they'll just..."

"They already know Puff, I just have to do what I can to delay it long enough for the police to find me."

Puffy didn't want to leave. She wanted to stay in this conversation forever, because at least then Techno wouldn't have to leave. She still remembered the years he had spent growing up, moving from one place to another. She loved him like her own kid. Techno' quirks brought her all the joy she could ever need. He had been her brightest sunlight and darkest day. He had caused her so much joy, and yet with each time he broke a little more, the sorrow of that would smash into Puffy's heart, ripping it into shreds that she could barely stitch back together.

She had thought Techno was safe for a long time, only to find out he had been left in that place. She had known Techno wasn't lying about it. Techno didn't lie. She had called in a favour from an old friend, because she had needed to know Techno would be safe. She had taken him to Phil, and Phil had kept him safe all this time. Now Tommy had followed the same painful past, and Puffy needed to do whatever was necessary to get them both to the happy ending and make sure this cursed circle never continued.

As much as she wanted to, Puffy couldn't let this conversation continue for eternity. Instead she let Techno leave to talk to his family. She watched the door click shut behind Techno's back and, with a sigh, she reached into her bag, pulling out her phone and dialling Falaron's number. She was about to ask a hell of a lot from the detective, and all she could do was hope he would agree. He knew just as well as she did that there was no other chance at finding Tommy. Maybe he'd agree to take this last ditch effort.

"Anything new?" Fallaron asked, picking the phone up almost instantly. While the man wasn't quite as emotionally invested in the case as Puffy was, he still cared, about her and about these kids. Like Puffy, Fal had spent every waking moment combing through Tommy's past foster carers in the hopes one of them might have a clue.

"Information or evidence wise? No, but one of the kids had an idea. A stupid one, but it could work. I need to run it past you first."

"I'm trusting you Cap', but from the sound of your voice, this isn't an easy one."

"It's not, but I think it's our only chance."

"Alright, what's the plan?"

Puffy took a deep breath, knowing Fal would hate this just as much as she did. Then... she told him. All at once she told him the most painful plan she had ever had.

Puffy's heart broke the moment Fallaron agreed it might work.

A/N: honestly idk what to say in this note other then I'm sorry ig? Uhh don't kill me?