2 | The Call of the Fallen

NEW ORLEANS WAS DIFFERENT. It was wasn't the bustling streets of Athens or the chaotic harbour in Kos, it had a certain order among its chaos.

But apparently, the people of New Orleans didn't know their drinks. A tourist had asked where the best place to get a negroni was, and one of the locals had assumed it was a type of pasta and directed him to the nearest Italian restaurant.

And when the locals talked about going out for a drink, that entailed cheap, distasteful cider or heavily diluted beer - never anything remotely fun.

"Hi, can I have a Black Russian and Sbagliato for my sister."

Her brother approached the bar from Ariadne's left, "A bourbon for myself, thanks."

The bartender raised a brow, "You certainly know your drinks, but I'm going to have to check your ID."

Ria smiled, "I'll take it as a compliment that you would think I'm underage."

She reached into her purse and pulled out her ID, passing it to the bartender.

Her name tag read Camille. Camille. French, perhaps? Fitting for someone working in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

"I have to check, and honestly, you do look around twenty."

She passed the ID back.

"Well, that's three years younger than I am so I'll take it."

Helene huffed, "Do speak for yourself, I'm twenty seven! I haven't been asked for my ID since I was twenty two."

The younger sister rolled her eyes, "It's not my fault that you look older than you are, my sweet dullard of a sister."

"Sometimes I want to strangle you."

"The feeling is mutual."

Their older brother Malcom rolled his eyes, "Oh please! I would give anything to be in my twenties again!"

"Ah yes, Helene we forgot our ancient brother hasn't been our age in centuries!"

"Ha! Ha! Very funny, you won't be saying that when your as ancient as I am."

"We shall see, oh great ancient one."

Camille began preparing their drinks, a most fascinating thing to watch, "So, what brings you both to the big easy?"

Ariadne shrugged, "Business. Sight-seeing. Visiting. Picking your poison, Camille."

The bartender raised a brow, turning to Helene, "Is she always so brazen?"

"It's her thing, she's a bit blunt, honestly I wish I could be rid of her."

"Yeah right, you love me."

"Debatable."

"Really?"

A nod, "Really."

Ariadne sighed, "What a shame. I thought we were truly bonding on the plane, big sister."

Camille shrugged, "I'll leave you both two it, let me know if you need anything."