Episode 4-4: Inconvenient Vacation

For hours long, everyone trained their defensive magic spells till they couldn't anymore while y/n sparred against Jamil. True to his words, he went easy on her due to the fact that she doesn't know any fighting styles except just throwing her fist around randomly. He will admit that she's quick to adapt and learn though.

"That will be all for today. Tomorrow morning, we march to the eastern oasis, where I will put you through your paces!" Kalim announces before leaving, allowing the residents to slouch to the ground in exhaustion.

"My arms and legs feel like noodles..." Scarabia A wheezes as he lies flat on the ground,"Water... Need water..." Scarabia B rasps and y/n could only cup some water in her hands from the fountain before bringing it over to him, allowing the poor boy to drink from her hands,"Thank you..." he coughs as y/n rubs his back,"Slow breaths, pal, slow breaths." she tells him.

"And we have another day of melting in the desert heat ahead of us tomorrow. Uuugh." Scarabia C whines with dread,"What's come over the housewarden? He never used to be like this." Scarabia A says and y/n took a mental note of that as she goes to retrieve Grim.

"Finally, it's over." Grim pants with heavy breaths before y/n scoops him into her arms,"He was all smiles and sunshine before. What's the deal with the sudden one-eighty?" he questions the others,"I imagine when we placed last in the Spelldrive interdorms, and then Scarabia collectively scored at the bottom of exams..." Jamil speaks up with a hand cupping his chin.

"He must have felt personally responsible." he concludes,"Has he always been like this when things go wrong for Scarabia?" y/n asks, Jamil shakes his head,"He's had terrible mood swings ever since." he tells her.

"That ain't a mood swing. It's like he's a totally different person!" Grim corrects him,"I've known him a long time, but that volatile temper has left me stumped as to how to approach him. He'll say one thing, then do something else the next minute. The way he goes on these power trips without warning is out of control." Jamil explains with furrowed brows.

"The whole dorm used to look up to our housewarden, but this odd behavior has us all scratching our heads. He's been making unreasonable demands, as you just saw..." he adds,"And I have to admit, it's horrible." y/n comments.

"I fear it's only a matter of time before the students reach the end of their rope. I've done what I can to smooth things over, but this has gone beyond my ability to handle alone." Jamil says with worry,"Yeesh. Between you and Trey over in Heartslabyul, you vice housewardens have it rough." Grim notes with sympathy as he jumps out of y/n's arms, having finally caught his breath.

"Ah! Of course" Jamil suddenly snatches up both of y/n's hands in his own,"You two are diamonds in the rough!" he claims with confidence,"Huh? What're you talkin' about?" Grim raises a brow at him and Jamil takes a step back.

"Heartslabyul, Savanaclaw, and even Octavinelle... Rumor has it that you two are outstanding students who have solved problems with multiple other dorms." Jamil tells them with a smile,"Huh, news travels fast I see." y/n utters with an awkward smile.

"Heh heh, we sure have. Be grateful, peons, for the omnipotent sorcerer Grim walks among you!" Grim boasts with pride,"I bow before you, sir. Please, I must ask: could you find it in your heart to help Scarabia as well?" Jamil pleads as held y/n's shoulders this time,"Uhhh..." both Ramshackle Duo voice their baffled nature.

"Our chance encounter in the cafeteria must have been guided by the hand of fate. Surely you two can find us a solution using your sparkling intellect!" Jamil exclaims as he leans in close to y/n, who's cheeks turned red as she looks to the side flustered.

"I... Jamil we..." she was at a loss for words, but Grim luckily had her back,"Yeaaah, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Sure I'm a big deal, but that ain't got nothin' to do with what we're talkin' about!" he tells Jamil before tugging on y/n's pants to catch her attention.