The New Age Of The House Of The Dragon

137 - Red Keep

Aemond keeps his eye on the cradles beside his and Visenya's bed. A second cradle was brought into the room shortly after Rhaenyra made the midwives leave the new parents alone. Soft snores come from Visenya, and Aemond pulls her closer to his side; even while asleep, Visenya buries her face into his chest.

Along with the cradle, the servants had run Visenya a bath. Aemond washed her hair and helped her into a clean night dress. Aemond runs his fingers along Visenyas arm; she is no longer cold. Back to her usually warm self and Aemond find comfort in the fact.

After getting Visenya into bed, Aemond had gotten into his sleepwear, leaving his chest naked, and Visenya had been delighted that he chose to. His hair is down, and his eye patch is gone. He had been wavier to do so in front of the babies, but Visenya had insisted that he take it off before getting into bed with her. Visenya had fallen asleep as soon as Aemond pulled her to lay under his arm and on his chest. Aemond wishes to join her in sleep, but he can not shake the nervous feeling that someone might come and take the babes while they both are asleep.

Aemond panics as one of the babes starts to fuse. He doesn't want Visenya to be woken up and doesn't know how to deal with an upset newborn. Both of Helaena's babies had always been quiet. Aemond is quick but gentle in moving Visenya off of him, laying her back against the bed. Aemond pushes off the bed and picks up the fusing bade, Laenor. He holds him against his cheating, hoping it will calm him down, but it doesn't, and Aemond thinks he should get a maid or someone else who might know what to do.

The panic increases as he sees Visenya sit up in the candlelight. She needs to rest.

Visenya woke up because she could hear the fusing. She had never been a heavy sleeper. Visenya yawns as she opens her eyes, a smile rising on her face as she sees Aemond holding one of the twins. He is clearly trying to calm the baby down but is failing. Part of Visenya finds the panicked look on his face funny.

Visenya moves to stand on her knees, but Aemond tries to stop her, Laenor fusing even more at his father's fast movement. This is overwhelming for Aemond; he doesn't want Visenya to hurt herself and wishes he could understand what Laenor wants. He preys that Daenys doesn't wake up as well.

"Aemond, I'm fine," Visenya whispers to him as she lets Aemond push her to sit back down on the bed.

"You should stay in bed," Aemond tells her as he rocks Laenor, hoping it will soothe the newborn.

"I have been confined to that bed for the past two days," Visenya tells Aemond as her attention stays on the fusing newborn who just seems to be better worse. Visenya reaches her hands out toward Laenor. "Let me see him,"

Aemond hands Visenya Laenor. Knowing that there is no point in arguing with his wife. Visenya lays back down in the bed, Laenor held close to her chest. Aemond moves to get back into the bed, watching how gentle Visenya is being, the confidence between her actions. The second that Laenor is in Visenya's hold, he calms down.

Visenya could remember when Joffrey and her younger brother Aegon were this small.

"We need to get another dragon egg," Visenya whispers to Aemond as she looks at Laenor.

"That can wait," Aemond tells her, and he kisses her shoulder. Aemond pulls Visenya to lay back on his chest again. "How are you feeling?"

"There is still pain, but the maester said that is normal," Visenya tells Aemond as she relaxes against him. There was still pain but not nearly as bad as it was before. She feels more uncomfortable than in pain, the pressure within her chest being the primary source. "I must admit that I feel rather uncomfortable,"