Back To Black

138 - Dragonstone

"The Lord of the Tides!" Ser Erryk yells out as the Velaryons make their way down the stairs. "Lord Corlys Velaryon and his wife, the Princess Rhaenys Targaryen,"

"My Lords," Corlys greets the lords around the table. Rhaenyra stands up from her chair in respect to the older man.

"Lord Corlys," Rhaenyra greets him as he, Rhaenys, and their granddaughters by Laena get to the stairs. "It brings much relief to see you here,"

"I'm very sorry about your father, Princess. He was a good man," Corlys gives his condolences to Rhaenyra as she looks around the room, noticing the lack of a certain unstable prince. "Where is Daemon?"

"There were other concerns which demanded the Prince's attention," Rhaenyra answers Corlys as she watches Corlys walk around the table, his cane echoing around the room.

Corlys hums at Rhaenyra's words. He knows that she is keeping the prince away from him. Corlys might not have agreed with the words his brother had said, but he was his brother, and Corlys can't help but hold a grudge against Daemon for killing him. Corlys moves to the right side of the table, stopping to stand beside Visenya.

Visenya looks up at her grandsire, giving him a small smile. She wishes that the situation was different and that Corlys could meet Aenar, but there are more important matters that they need to deal with at the moment.

Corlys looks at Visenya, the same dark purple eyes he has stared back at him. The same eyes as Laenor. His eyes. Corlys likes to think that it was the one thing that Visenya had inherited from Laenor, that she is truly his daughter, even if he knows the truth. Corlys smiles at Visenya before looking at Rhaenyra.

"Your declared allies?" Corlys asks, tapping his cane on the ground as he looks at the table.

He can see that they have the support of the Riverlands, minus a few houses. The Iron Islands. And a few houses in the crownlands. The true powers they have are the Riverlands and the Iron Islands. The crownland houses haven't seen war in a long time.

One marking that sticks out on the table is the Vaylrian symbol in the Riverlands. Corlys knows about Visenya's small army that she has kept in the Riverlands. Know the reputation they have. They make the Ironborn look merciful.

"Yes," Rhaenyra answers as she steps closer to the table.

"You would have so few if it weren't for Princess Visenya," Corlys tells her, and Visenya looks down at her feet.

"Yes. She has many allies that follow her support," Rhaenyra says proudly. "We would also hope to have the support of Houses Arryn, Baratheon, and Stark,"

"Hope is the fool's ally," Corlys tells her. Hope wouldn't make the Kingdoms bend their knee to her. Wouldn't make them fight for her.

"Both Arryen and Baratheon share blood with my house. But all of them swore oaths to me," Rhaenyra says as she looks around the table, there are so many undeclared houses on the table.

"As did House Hightower, if I remember," Corlys tells Rhaenyra, who takes a deep breath to calm herself.

"As did you, Lord Corlys," Rhaenyra points out. She would need the support of House Velaryon if she were to end this war quickly. Rhaenyra preys that the Velaryons do not hold the same grudge about Laenor as Visenya.

"Your father's realm was one of justice and honour. Our houses are bound by common blood and common cause," Corlys tells Rhaenyra before taking a quick look at his lady wife. "This Hightower treason cannot stand. You have the full support of our fleet and house, Your Grace,"