The Hand And Shield

138 - Harrenhal

Ben takes a deep breath as he steps out of the twin's room, he knows that both Visenya and Aemond would want to have some alone time with their children, and he would keep Rob as busy as he can so that they can. Ben nods towards the men he had picked to stand post outside the twin's room before he starts heading towards the war room.

Ben doesn't mind not being in the war meetings, finding them boring and a waste of time. He knows that Visenya and Rob like having things planned out as much as they can, a way for them to have control in a hectic time. Ben would instead just go in swords swinging and hope for the best.

As Ben makes his way towards where Rob has been spending most of his time, he is greeted by a tired-looking Rob, and as he takes a small peak in the room, he notices the lords whispering to themselves. Ben hopes they are not planning on betraying them because then he would have to put all their heads on spikes as a warning.

"Is Visenya with the children?" Rob asks Ben as he quickly moves past the knight and towards the room.

Ben sighs, not only because Rob plans to distribute Visenya and Aemond but also because he worries for his friend. Rob had been taking the weight off Visenya's shoulders at his expense. Ben gently grabs Rob's arm, stopping him from going to the twin's room.

"She but-" Ben answers, and Rob again tries to go to the room, but Ben stops him. "Rob, let her and Aemond have some time with their children,"

"First, I found out that she was awake from Lord Frey, and now you want to keep me from talking with her?" Rob asks, and Ben thinks for a moment. Rob isn't someone that easily gets mad, so the hostel tone scares the knight.

Lord Frey had all been too happy to share the news of Visenya being awake with Rob, rubbing into the Lord's face that he knew something before he did. Rob had been able to keep his composure and not give Lord Frey the reaction that he wanted. Ben hasn't shared with Rob the news of just how badly Visenya has been injured, and he might be able to keep the truth from Visenya and Aemond, but he needs to share with Rob, needs Rob to understand just how severe the injury to her wrists has affected her.

"She has been hurt badly, and her hands-" Ben stops himself; part of him feels responsible for not being able to help her more or have some kind of magic that would be able to help her. "I don't know if I can help her,"

Rob looks at his friend, now understanding that Ben needs someone to confide in. Rob knows that Ben would usually go to Visenya, but when the problem is Visenya, he needs someone to talk to. Rob had been so busy making sure that he could keep the lords at bay and stall them until Visenya was ready that he had failed to notice that one of his closest friends had also been drowning in his problems.

Ben had even thought of going to that wicked witch they have locked away, but he can't bring himself to. He wouldn't be able to trust Alys to help Visenya rather than hurt her.

"If anyone can help her, it's you," Rob assures Ben, hoping his words cheer the knight up, but he doubts they will. "She has to be at the meetings tomorrow,"

"And if she and Aemond are together in their bed will you be the one to drag her out," Ben tells Rob as he moves Rob to walk in a different way of the twin's room.

Ben knows how angry Aemond can get when waking him and even grumpier when Visenya is needed to leave the bed and go somewhere else. He will allow Rob to face Aemond's sour mood and gladly deal with the twins or lords.

"I'll have Lord Frey do it," Rob tells Ben, knowing that Aemond wouldn't be happy about the lord being there and that if Aemond were to kill the lord, then it would be something off Rob's plate.

"I think Aemond would kill him," Ben laughs; both men understand that Aemond isn't too fond of the lord, and it would be funny to see how Aemond deals with the lord trying to take Visenya away from him in the morning.

"And he would be less likely to kill me?" Rob asks.

"Bring one of the twins or Aenar when you want them out," Ben answers; he knows that Aemond wouldn't spill any blood with one of the children present. "He won't kill you then,"

"Yes, but Visenya won't hesitate to hit me," Rob agrees, and Ben can't help but snicker at the thought of Visenya getting mad at Rob.

"Maybe you should also bring the crown-"

"How do you know about that?" Rob cuts Ben off, slightly panicking about the fact that Ben knows about the crown. It was meant to be kept a secret from everyone, and he thought the blacksmith would have kept it to himself.

"I am having the blacksmith make her braces, and he mentioned having them match the crown you are having made," Ben answers; the blacksmith had been too happy to show him the design Rob had made and the beginning works of the crown. "Having it match her old armour is a very nice detail,"

"Not a word to Visenya or anyone else," Rob threatens Ben but the knight only smiles to himself.

"For a piece, and you got a deal," Ben tells Rob as he wraps an arm around Rob; he just wants Rob to sleep and spend some time with his lady wife.

His friends are Ben's main priority. He needs to ensure that they are well rested and taking care of themselves and while Visenya might be as stubborn as a baby dragon, getting Rob to listen to him was like trying to swim against the current.