A Fathers Love

138 - Harrenhal

A father's love can make or break a person. Even the presence of a father in a person's life can make all the difference.

When Aemond first learnt of Visenya being pregnant after their wedding, he remembers the joy and excitement, but also the fear. He grew up without his fathers love, knowing that his father had a favourite and it wasn't his brothers or even sister. But the product of his father's first marriage, a product of a marriage full of love, unlike his mothers and father.

Aemond had been terrified in the months Visenya had spent pregnant. The only time he ever saw a father love their child was with Ser Laenor and the Strong bastards and Visenya. He couldn't understand how a man could love another man's child and treat them as their own, not when his father didn't try to spend time with him and his siblings.

So Aemond wanted to ensure that his children grew up with love, not caring that fathers usually weren't as involved in the children's early years. But his world changed the second he laid eyes on those two bases. Then came Aenar, named after the Dragonlord that moved their house from the Freehold of Valyria to the new lands of Westeros.

Aemond isn't a stranger to the whispers around the legitimacy of his newest son, the fact that the babe has red hair, and that remours that Visenya and Rob are more than just friends. But Aemond knows that Aenar is a Targaryen through and through and had most likely taken after his mother rather than him or Visenya. A fact that haunts his dreams, ideas spurting like Tyrell flowers that his son might take more than just appearance from his grandmother. But as the babe sleeps soundly in his arms, he doubts that Aenar could do anything evil in his life.

But as of late, his dreams are filled with Visenya dying out West or himself dying in the East. Hundreds of thousands of leagues between them, and Aemond just hopes they don't meet again in the afterlife and that both of their gods provide them with more time.

A selfish wish, but it is more reasonable to ask than for the rest of his family to drop dead.

So before Aemond is forced to mount his dragon and protect the Riverland army as they march south, he can enjoy some alone time with his children. As the twins play together, Aemond is plagued with the memories of simpler times when his family still hated each other but didn't wish death on eachother. Back when he thought his biggest worries were not spending enough time with his children or Visenya dying because he was too selfish and wanted more children.

"I remember when you and Visenya were that small," The unmistakable sound of Laenor echoes in the silence room. The presence of the Velaryon makes Aemond spring out of his chair. Aenar pressed closer to his chest, like trying to block the sight of the babe. "Aemond,"

Laenor knows that the prince must have a hard time trusting people, given their current situation, but if anyone should be wary of someone, it should be Laenor of Aemond. The former husband to Rhaenyra can't help but still hold ill feelings towards the younger male. For stealing his dead sister's dragon, perhaps he has redeemed himself by giving Visenya happiness.

"I do not know your intentions," Aemond simply states.

Aemond keeps his gaze locked on the older man, not daring to look away while Laenor and Daenys play at his feet. Daenys could even taunt her brother, and Aemond would not dare look away from Laenor. For all he knows, Laenor could work with the Blacks, perhaps still loyal to his former wife. Maybe he was sent here to kill one of his children, or perhaps he is a spy.

"I would never harm your children," Laenor tells him as he makes his way closer into the room, his hands out in front of him, but the fire that burns in Aemonds eyes does not seem to go away at his words.

"Just like you would never harm Visenya?" Aemond asks, his voice cold and full of venom like a snake. "My wife and my children are the most important people to me, and I will not allow a man that abandoned his family to push any ideals onto my children,"

Laenor had fought in the Step Stones, yet as he stares down Aemond, he wonders what could make a man have such hatred towards a person.

"I will tell you this once, leave this room and don't come back. Visenya might have let you be in the same room as our children, but I will not," Aemond informs Laenor. "I will not let you disappoint another generation when you abandon them again,"

Aemonds words cut deep into Laenor.

They cut deep because they are the truth.

Laenor may not have been the Velaryon's bastards father by blood, but they did hold his name. They held his name after he left. Jacaerys wore the name as he tried to prepare himself for the throne that he might one day hold. Visenya wore the name when she fought in the Iron Islands. Joffrey, who never knew him, still held the name with pride. And Lucerys died being proud to hold the name.

Laenor had abandoned them, leaving them open for attacks from the vipers. And Aemond, Aemond wants to make sure that his children have to go through that. Never have to live with the thought that their parents didn't love them, for his children to mourn them at such a young age.

Aemond would protect his children with everything in him.

He is a dragon of House Targaryen, and god's help anyone who tries to hurt his children.

Especially Daemon Targaryen.