Actions Speak Louder Than Words

138 - Harrenhal

"Read it to me again," Ben says as he and Rob sit in front of the fire. Rob still holds the letter in his hands, fearing he might lose it and someone might find it.

"They want us to surrender for her life," Rob summarises for him. Ben has gotten him to read the letter at least five times now. Rob would be mad at him, but he had to re-read the letter multiple times himself.

Neither of the two can process what is happening, and both of them blame themselves in some way. If Rob hadn't asked Visenya to send Morghon to watch over him in the Vale, then she would have had him and might have been able to flee. Ben blames himself for not being there, he had been present with Visenya about her, but he had been so sure that she would have been okay, that there would have been more time before his dream came true. But can change what has happened.

"Then we should do so," Ben tells Rob, he is fine with surrendering in return for Visenya, but Rob isn't.

Rob believes in Visenya like Ben, but unlike the knight, his family would lose their title and lands if they surrendered. He has done everything for his house and made sure the Tully name wouldn't be dishonoured, but if they did surrender, then it would have all been for nothing; he would be just like his father, the man he hates the most. Rob also knows that Visenya wouldn't want that; even if she died, she would like them to keep fighting.

"You think that Visenya would want us to?" Rob asks him; he can not believe that Ben is thinking of surrendering. Visenya wouldn't want them to.

"I think she would rather have her life," Ben answers as he slouches back into his chair. He doesn't want to believe that Visenya has fallen at the hands of the prince or has been taken captive by her parents.

"Aemond will not handle this well," Rob comments as the two watch the fire. Ben has been doing his best to avoid the prince all day, knowing that he would end up breaking down and would tell the prince about the letter.

It doesn't take a genius to know that Aemond would not handle the news well, Ben had been dealing with the prince since Visenya had left, and the prince had not been doing well. He was more short-tempered than usual, and often, the only times he was his usual self were around the children.

"Maybe we should just allow him to try and get her back," Ben puts the idea out. Surely Aemond would be able to get Visenya back with Vhagar.

"He will end up burning the whole realm down to the ground to get her back, and they would most likely kill her before he could save her," Rob tells Ben; the anger Aemond would feel would overpower any chance of reasoning with the prince.

"So?" Ben asks, burning the realm down to get her back seemed like a fair deal. Ben knows Aemond would be able to get to her before the Blacks could kill her.

"Visenya doesn't want that. You know that," Rob answers Ben; if both Aemond and Ben know that burning everything to the ground would get Visenya back, he would be in for long nights to convince them otherwise.

The sound of the door opening breaks the room's silence; Ben and Rob look towards the door and offer the one-eyed prince a smile. They know that Aemond would be able to see through their false calmness.

"What is going on?" Aemond asks as he looks between Ben and Rob, noting how Ben doesn't meet his eye.

Aemond has noted how the Blackwood knight has been avoiding him all day, running away from the prince in the halls and not attending the war table meetings that are happening today. Aemond and the other lords had also noted the lack of Rob at the meetings.