To Be Remembered

138 - Harrenhal

"He is such a bad singer," Visenya mumbles as she and Rob watch Ben drunkenly serenade them. The Blackwood knight had been the one who indulged in the mead that was left in the castle. Visenya and Rob wanted to be relaxed but not drunk until they would feel it in the morning.

The trio had snuck off together, to have one last bit of fun before Visenya leaves for the Reach and Rob for the Vale. It had all been Ben's idea, and it was unspoken that this might be the last time they would have fun like this. That one of them might not survive what comes next.

"You are no better," Rob tells Visenya, who snorts at his words. It was true. The three of them had once drunk enough mead that they had thought it would be a good idea to pretend to be bards, with both Visenya and Ben singing and Rob playing the lute. Rob had been the only one who was actually good.

"You offend me. I could have your tongue for that," Visenya jokes, and the two friends laugh as they watch the knight drunkenly move towards them, grabbing onto both of their shoulders and slipping mead onto the front of Rob's shirt.

Ben knows the truth and doesn't want either one of his friends ever to leave him. To be left alone in this world. If he died, both Visenya and Rob would have a family to return to, but they were his family to him. He has his brother and sister, but now that he has chosen to side with Visenya, he can't help but think that he wouldn't be welcomed back at Winterfell and Raventree Hall. He was just the Lord's younger brother. With Visenya and Rob, he is equal, and they had been the first two to not care about who his brother was or the fact he would inherit nothing, that he was just the second-born son. Visenya had been the second born and a daughter that stood to inherit nothing as well and was known only as her mother's bastard daughter. But now Visenya is an inspiration, and he knows a hundred years from now, there will be stories and songs about her that she will be remembered. Rob had been the only one with something to his name, an honourable Tully who wanted to prove that he wasn't like his father. Now he is a Lord and has married into one of the most wealthy families in the realm. He would be remembered. Ben would not be. He was just a knight, nothing more. The only reason he had become a knight was because of Visenya.

Ben smiles down at his two friends, he wants to remember the happy parts of their friendship and not worry about what might happen in the future.

"My two darlings. Lights of my life-"

"Okay, time for bed," Rob tells Ben as he stands up from his chair and wraps one of Ben's arms around his shoulder. Visenya follows the action and takes the empty cup out of Ben's hand before wrapping his other arm around her shoulder.

"I am merely having a wonderful time with my two favourite people. Who knows when or if we will ever be able to do this again," Ben tells the two as they start to guide him out of the room.

"Well, that's grim," Visenya mumbles as she opens the door for them to walk through. Ben smiles at Visenya, taking to memory every detail he can.

"But the truth. You are going to the Vale and might die, and you are going to the Reach alone," Ben tells her as he drags his feet behind him. Rob gently rubs the back of Ben's back. The Blackwood knight had come to him about his concerns about Visenya leaving for the Reach alone, thinking that either he or Aemond should go with her. It was not that Ben didn't believe Visenya could protect herself but having someone watching her back would be a good idea.

"We will be back before you know it. Come on, you big babe," Visenya tells Ben, part of her hopes that her words are the truth. Neither she nor Rob would be faced with much trouble and that they will return safely to Harrennhal, but she knows that the Greens might have sent more men than they are counting them to to the Reach, and House Royce might see Rob asking them for support as an insult. Or maybe the Blacks have already taken hold of the Vale.