The Curse Of Harrenhal

138 - Harrenhal

Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys brought a new form of war to Westeros when they conquered the land and the one place and house that knew the best form of warfare was Harrnehal and the once-great House Hoare. After Aegon, the first, burnt the castle to the ground and burned alive the lord and sons of House Hoare, the tale that the castle was cursed started to spread across the land.

Visenya never believed that the castle had a curse on it, not even after her brother's father and grandsire had burned alive in the castle. Maybe she was okay with taking the castle and becoming its lady. But perhaps the curse is real; maybe that is why she had been held hostage on Dragonstone for long.

As Harrenhal comes into view, Visenya feels like she can finally breathe as Morghon and Cannibal fly over the god's eye. Visenya hadn't spoken a word to the dragon, but he seemed to know where to take Visenya, and as Vhagar joins the other two dragons in the sky, she knows that Aemond is still at the ruined castle.

Visenya finally lets herself slump against Morghons saddle, and sleep consumes her as they near the ground, all three dragons letting out a noise of protest at the action. Morghon and Cannibal worried for their bonded one, and Vhagar concerned for her own and what might happen to him without Visenya.

– –

Aemond and Rob had agreed that they would take the lead in making a makeshift version of a small council for Visenya, both with her best interest in mind. It had been obvious that Rob would be her hand, Aemond prince regent while she was at war, Lord Tyrell Master of the coin with Rob acting on his behalf, Dalton Greyjoy the master of ships, and the master from Riverrun taking the title of Grand maester. Lord Frey and Lord Crane had been two lords that had been inventive in giving their input.

Rob and Ben had been taking turns watching Aemond and the children, Rob's own wife taking the role when the three men were busy. Aemond had been reluctant to allow the women near his children, but he knows that Visenya would trust the women since she has married Rob.

The council meetings are boring, more so than the usual war meetings. Each man tries to give their input about what they think they should be doing, and either Rob or Aemond tells them that they can't start any fights without Visenya knowing first.

The current topic that the council was having trouble coming to terms with and agreeing with was the Iron Fleet and the Ironborn. Rob knows that Dalton would not want to sail around Westeros and risk being attacked by the Dornish, but the other Lords and princes can't seem to understand that, only worrying about the fact that they have no navy on the Eastern side of the realm.

"Lord Greyjoy has no interest in sailing around Westeros and risking the Iron Fleet being destroyed by the Dornish," Rob tells them again as he stiffly sits in his chair. He wants Visenya back, so he doesn't have to make the decisions without her input.

He feels like how Visenya did all those years back when they were in the Iron Islands. Like he has to repeat himself and justify every decision he has to make or wants to make. Aemond and Ben help him, but none of the lords respect Aemond or Ben, an outsider and a second son of a lower house.

Aemond watches the lord's fidgets under Rob's gaze. The lord might not think he is respected, but Aemond can see how the lords fidget with fear when Rob loses his temper or is close to losing it.

"Maybe a peace treaty with House Martell, then?" Lord Frey puts the idea out, and Aemond has to hold himself from rolling his eye.

Aemond knows that even if they could get the Martells to agree to a peace treaty to allow the Iron Fleet to cross their water, Visenya wouldn't. Her hatred towards the house hasn't lessened since they were children, not for what they did to Rhaenys and Meraxes.