It Is Not Safe For You Here

138 - Red Keep

Visenya and Ben quickly stand as the door opens, both relaxing once Aemond makes his way into the room.  Ben sits back on the couch with the twins, Aenar asleep in his crib by the fire.  Visenya moves away from the couch and to Aemond, pulling each other into a hug.  Aemond buries his face into Visenya's neck, gripping her dress with force and pulling her closer to him. 

"Aemond," Visenya greets, happy to see her husband in one piece.  

"The king-"

"I know," Visenya cuts him off, pulling away from Aemond.  "Your mother came by earlier,"

"I would have been here for you, but Aegon needed to be found," Aemond tells Visenya, pushing away the smallest bit of grief he feels for his father. 

In truth, Aemond had stopped caring for his father after the incident, losing his eye. It had become clear to him that his father had favourites and that Rhaenyra would be able to get away with anything.  Even though Aemond had grown distant from his father, there was still grieving.  Grief not for his father but for the fact that there would be a messy fight between the family about who is the heir to the Iron throne. 

"We should leave for Dragonstone.  I know how to get out of the castle-"

"I am staying here," It was Aemond's turn to cut her off, stopping her from telling him the plan to leave.  Visenya scrunches her eyebrows at his words; why would Aemond stay here?

"What?" Visenya asks him before shaking her head like she is trying to get the idea out of her head.  "You're supporting him?"

"He is my brother, and even if I do not, he is fit to rule; I can't-,"

"This is treason!  Aegon is not the heir the king chose," Visenya tells Aemond in a hushed voice, not wanting the twins to notice the conversation slowly turning into an argument. 

"He is the firstborn son Visenya," Aemond states, and Visenya scoffs at that; she doesn't understand why a cock makes someone a better ruler.  

"My mother is his named heir.  This isn't right, Aemond," Visenya tells Aemond, poking his chest.  Aemond looks at the twins and Ben, silently asking the knight to ensure the twins don't witness this.   "I will not support him,"

"I never expected that you would," Aemond whispers to her as he watches Ben take the twins to look outside on the balcony.   He tries to touch Visenya to calm her down, but she pushes his hands away.  "It is not safe for you to be here. I am needed here to keep Aegon in check and ensure everyone is safe,"

"Your family needs you. Laenor, Daenys, and Aenar need you," Visenya tells him, taking a step closer to him with pleading eyes. "I need you,"

"The children should stay here.  My mother and I will be able to protect them, and your mother will not attack the capital," Aemond reasons with her, and Visenya clenches her jaw as he makes his points.  "I know that you will lead men into battle, and the children should not be near a battlefield,"

"Then come with me.  Together there will be no need for war," Visenya pleads with him.  She knows that the Green's only advantage is Aemond and his dragon.  "The greens will not stand a chance if we are together.  Their only advantage is you and Vhagar,"

"War is inevitable," Aemond tells his wife, and Visenya shakes her head.   "Those who believe in Aegon being the true heir will support him,"

"You honestly think that Aegon will be a good king?" Visenya asks him, they are both aware of Aegon's habits, and there could be no way that Aemond could think Aegon would be a good king.