The Dragon and Raven

138 - Harrenhal

Aemond had called Ben to Visenya and his room, wanting the knight to rewrap Visenya's hands since she had ripped them apart trying to take off the braces on her hands. The one-eye prince had left the room as soon as Ben had arrived, leaving Visenya and Ben alone.

"What's wrong?" Ben asks, the quietness is getting to him, and he isn't so used to not talking when he is with Visenya. They always find something to talk about, but whenever he tries to start a conversation with her, she shuts it down and stays quiet.

Ben can see her mind working, flickering between her hands that he is wrapping and him. She could keep what she feels to herself and hope it doesn't cloud her mind when they head west, or she can just get out with it.

"I'm worried," Visenya answers, the uneasy feeling in her stomach still eating away. "About Aemond, about us going West, Dalton, the Greens, I'm worried about everything,"

Ben watches Visenya, how her eyebrows are scrunched together and her jaw is clenched. He is glad that she is being honest, but he wonders if the news he can give her would bring her some ease, but he doubts it will. Ben might be able to know things before they happen but to tell Visenya that the future is filled with death and loss would not do her any good.

"Aemond is going to be fine, and I am going to keep you safe," Ben assures Visenya; he knows that he can promise to keep her safe, but he shouldn't be promising anything about protecting Aemond.

"Who is going to keep him safe?" Visenya asks, leaning closer against the table. She doesn't doubt that Ben will have her back like always, but she worries about who will keep Aemond safe.

"I think his ancient and scary dragon will," Ben answers with a smile. He finds it sweet how worried she seems about Aemond, even though he has a dragon keeping him safe.

Visenya shakes her head. She knows that Vhagar is a powerful dragon and could make sure Aemond is safe, but the dragon has gotten old, and who knows if she could handle another war. Visenya also knows that Aemond could protect himself in the capital's siege; he probably has better sword skills than she does now.

"I think Laenor should go with him just so that they have the protection of two dragons," Visenya tells Ben, letting her thoughts wander. She does think it is a good idea to send Laenor with Aemond for protection but also because she doesn't want to see him. "Maybe Cannibal as well,"

"I would rather us have two dragons rather than just one," Ben tells her; the two would be down a fighter, and he doesn't want to be down a dragon. He might not get along with the old dragon, but he seems rather protective over Visenya, which would be great to have while they are in the West.

"But the majority of the dragons are going to be East; Cannibal has already killed Tessarion, so-"

"What's worrying you?" Ben cuts her off, her rambling, telling him something else is going on instead of just Aemond being safe.

Visenya looks away from Ben and down at the table, studying the wood like it is the most exciting thing in the realm. Taking a deep breath and blinking away the tears in her eyes, she doesn't know why she is crying, and she can't help but be angry at herself for being emotional.

Ben watches her, slightly worried, and he prays that Aemond doesn't return before he can get the truth out of her or Rob to bring them to the hall. Visenya swallows the lump in her throat and looks at Ben, breathing through her nose to try and control her breathing and stay calm.

"I can't lose him," Visenya says, her voice barely above a whisper like if she speaks the words, Balerion would come from Valyria and steal Aemond away. "I don't know what I would do without him,"

"We aren't going to send Cannibal with them," Ben tells her, his voice full of assurance and authority. He wants to ensure she understands that they will not deviate from the plan she has worked hard to make happen.

Visenya looks away from the table and at him. She can spare one of her dragons, having Morghon and Seasmoke watch over Aemond and ensure he is safe. Cannibal would be the better option because he would be more than happy to eat any dragon that might pose a threat, but then he might choose to eat Vhagar.

"But-"

"Aemond is fully able to keep himself safe, and Vhagar might be old, but she has seen more war than any other dragon alive," Ben stops her and grabs ahold of her hands, he wants to give her some peace of mind but he doesn't want to promise anything. "Aemond will be fine,"

"Are you telling me that to ease my nerves or because you know he will be okay?" Visenya asks, she would love to have Helaena here to spit out some weird verse that she might be able to figure out, but she would consider easing her mind if Ben tells him that he will be safe.

"He's going to be okay, and so are you," Ben answers, kissing her hands up to his lips.

Visenya nods as she leans back in her seat, they have time before the final meeting with the lords, and she might spend it going over any little thing that might go wrong. Visenya looks towards her and Aemonds bed; not too long ago, they were in it together, and now a dress that Aemond has instituted she wears tonight lays on it.

Ben sits back in his chair; Aemond insists that he keeps Visenya busy while he keeps the children busy. He hadn't questioned why Aemond wanted to spend time with the kids rather than Visenya. Still, he feels the two had a rather tense conversation where Visenya had taken control of the situation. Ben doesn't want Visenya to leave the room, knowing that Rob would have his head if she saw what the Riverland lord is planning for her.  

-- --

Note:

Would you like to see a coronation before everyone leaves Harrenhal?