With Birth Comes Death

138 - Kings Landing

"My King, this is Aenar," Visenya introduces the king to her son, gently rocking the sleeping babe in her arms.

Visenya and Aemond had spent the rest of the day and the night in their room. Both parents were overjoyed to meet their new son. Aemond hadn't slept, allowing Visenya to rest while he spent time with Aenar, talking to the babe in high Valyrian about how much he loves and will always protect him, his siblings, and Visenya.

The King lets out a wheezy breath at Visenya's words, not opening his eyes or trying to reach out to them. Visenya and Aemond share a look. Both know that the king will not be alive for much longer. Aemond thought the only reason he had stayed alive for so long was to ensure that Visenya returned safely from the North. Then when he found out that Visenya had fallen pregnant, to meet the babe.

"Another son?" The king asks Visenya and Aemond, his wheezing breath unsettling, and Visenya has been close enough to people dying to know when someone is on death's doorstep.

"Yes," Aemond answers for them, watching the sleeping babe that Visenya holds close to her. Unlike Laenor and Daenys, Aenar doesn't distantly look like either of them, more like a combination of the two of them.

Unlike Laenor and like Daenys, Aenar had been born without any hair on his head, and Aemond has yet to see if he inherited his light purple or Visenya's dark purple eyes. Part of Aemond hopes that Aenar will take after Visenya, while Visenya hopes that he will take after Aemond.

"You two continue to strengthen our house, two warriors," Viserys tells the two before going into another fit of pain. Aemond gently moves Visenya and Aenar to stand away from the King. Aemond knows that whatever is wrong with his father can't be passed on to another person, but he does not want to risk either of them getting sick like the king.

Visenya and Aemond move out of the king's bedside and into his common area as the maester gives the king something to help with his pain. Visenya smiles as Alicent comes into the room. Visenya holds Aenar close to her chest as the Queen comes closer.

"Was the labour hard?" Alicent asks in a whisper, not wanting to describe the kings or Aenar sleep. Aemond stands close behind Visenya, hands resting gently on her hips as he watches Aenar in Visenya's arms.

"It was easier this time, but still not the best feeling," Visenya answers Alicent as she looks behind her shoulder and up at Aemond. "I think Aemond was in more pain towards the end than I was,"

"Indeed, my hand will never be the same," Aemond jokes, and Visenya smiles at him. Aemond kisses Visenya's forehead before turning to face his mother.

"Princess Rhaenys is waiting for you two in her room," Alicent tells the two, folding her hand in front of her.

"We should go visit her," Visenya tells Aemond, who nods at her words. Aemond moves beside Visenya, gently wrapping his hand around her upper arm as they make their way to the door.

"Be careful not to overwork yourself, Princess," Alicent tells Visenya, genuinely worried for the princess. Alicent knows how much Visenya means to Aemond, and she is slightly worried about what Aemond would become without her.

"Thank you, my Queen," Visenya thanked Alicent as she and Aemond walk out of the king's chambers.

Aemond gently holds onto Visenya's arm as she walks, worried she might be overworking herself by walking so much. Aemond wants to return to their room, holding Visenya while she falls asleep and forgets about everything in the realm.

"Are you sure you can do this?" Aemond asks Visenya as he helps her up the set of stairs. He knows that the Visenya should rest rather than go around the castle, introducing Aenar to people.