Chapter 4

Author's note: the dining room picture by Anime India on pinterest gave me the idea for one of the scenes in this chapter, so shout out to their account :D

Y/n's pov

The early winter's fresh cold crisp morning air blows over you, the sun still behind the horizon, making the dawn sky still painted in deep violet. Turning towards the mountain behind the headquarters, you take a deep breath before sprinting across the sharp air. This morning ritual in the midst of the dawn before sunrise was a tradition in the L/n family starting from the first Spirit Breather, which was believed to clear one's mind and strengthen their spirit. Climbing the mountain in the dawn indeed was one of the ways for you to keep yourself at peace and concentrated in the midst of all that came about with being in the Corps, motivating you to never skip a day with the ritual unless you were injured. Some looked at you odd at first for making yourself get up at dawn to run through rain and snow, but in the end everyone learned to understand how much value and tradition it held for the L/n household.

You feel yourself smile as you sense your lungs filling with the cool air, the scent of the early mist surrounding you as you rip through them up the mountain. There was something calming about mountains, although this was not as near as beautiful as Mount Nichiguro by your family estate, but special nonetheless. These mountains were in a perfect balance, which was always more pronounced in the early morning - sound of the birds' singing, fresh taste of dew, and the strong grounding feeling of the soil every time you took a step forward. These all reminded you of the mechanism of the universe, all in a perfect harmony reflecting what one's inner self should be. 

Reaching the top of the mountain, you look up at the sunrise painting the violet sky in warm orange, the stream of light reflecting on your form. Taking another deep breath, you kneel down onto the cold soil, placing your palms together in front of you. Closing your eyes, you focus on the inner peace, finding your ocean of the mind where the tides are steady and calm. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You walk back into the headquarters having descended down the mountain, you see Tomioka standing in the field with his blade out wiping his forehead with his sleeve. Making your way towards him, you watch him expand his lungs before swinging the blade. The straw dummy sliced in half as its head falls onto the ground. 

'What are you doing?' You ask Tomioka as you stop behind him, him slowly turning around to face you.

'Training.' He says shortly, diverting his gaze onto the ground. 

'Without using any water breathing?' You ask, seeing as he only sliced off the mannequin without any visible breathing techniques.

'I was using Nagi.' He says, turning to face the mutated straw mannequin in front of you both.

'Well it didn't exactly seem like it worked.' You say giving him a smile even though he does not look very pleased at your comment exactly. 

'What do you want, L/n.' He says, sounding slightly annoyed by your presence. 

'I can help you if you want, you know. I can sense that something is unsettling your mind from your spirit.' You say, waiting for him to take the bait instead of telling him the Master asked you to help him which you knew would make everything so much more awkward.