Chapter 48

Tanjiro's pov

'Yoriichi wanted you to have these.' The man in the red yukata says, his hand covered in dried blood outstretched towards me as I feel Sumiyoshi-san's eyes water upon hearing the news. I look down to see a pair of earrings that Yoriichi-san used to wear, the design resembling the bright red sun.

'Never let the sun breath fade out, Sumiyoshi.' The man says again, curtly turning around to leave as the spirit phoenix screeches in the air before landing on the man's shoulder.

'Ryota-san!' I feel myself yell at his back, the spirit user simply walking down the long path as the sun sets past the mountains.

The scene changes, me standing on a hill as I watch Ryota-san and Yoriichi-san train, both of them now looking no older than seventeen. The sunset paints the sky in calm orange, Yoriichi-san's blade reflecting the flaming sun clashing with the spirit phoenix fire from Ryota-san. I feel Sumiyoshi-san's mouth open as the two elements crush against each other before they both break apart.

'Call the sun spirits, Yoriichi. You must train your Phoenix eye.' Ryota-san says to Yoriichi-san, his usual intense gaze piercing his friend.

'But I haven't been chosen by a spirit, Ryota.' Yoriichi-san says, watching the spirit phoenix fly above them in the orange sky.

'You having mastered all twelve forms of sun breathing is the proof that the spirits have chosen you, Yoriichi. To break the wall you must call the sun spirits.' Ryota-san replies, his flaming yukata riding the wind. I watch Yoriichi-san's muscles relax, him closing his eye, his forehead beading with sweat from the focus. His brows straightens, his whole body becoming still as his spirit leaves the material realm. 

Y/n-san's training.

It's the same as the training we did with her. 

Suddenly Yoriichi-san's eyes shoot open, his blade shining red as I watch a bright red light stream through from the setting sun onto his sword, glazing the metal in burning red.

'Sun spirits.' Yoriichi-san says, his usual stoic eyes holding surprise as the sun spirits fall through the air onto the blade. He fixes his stance as if his body is pulled by the spirits themselves, his movement never wavering in the air as the flaming sword cuts through the air. The sun flames erupts from the blade, the intense spirit sun firestorm reaching far into the distance, the flames raging as it coils into the sky. I open my mouth at the sight, Yoriichi-san looking down on his blade in awe.

'I can... we can defeat Kibutsuji, Ryota.' Yoriichi-san says, lifting his head to meet Ryota-san's eyes as he remains silent.

'Can you see?' Ryota-san finally replies, him only gazing at Yoriichi-san's expression, as if he was not at all surprised at the scene in front of him.

'Ryota! You are....' Yoriichi-san's eyes widen as he faces his friend, the corner of Ryota-san's lips lifting upwards by an inch.

'Transparent.' Yoriichi-san finishes, the spirit breath user only looking at his friend with his usual intense glare, the spirit phoenix tending to its rich red feathers on its owner's shoulder.

'Dewa. I'll see you all tomorrow.' Ryota-san says, turning on his heels before disappearing into the haze of the sun spirits.

'Omedeto, Yoriichi-san! You finally succeeded in developing the thirteenth form!' Sumiyoshi-san shouts as Yoriichi-san turns to face me, his lips extending into a smile before he walks down the hill himself.