Chapter 12

Y/n's pov

'I... I don't belong here.' You hear Tomioka say, his voice just barely audible as you watch his troubled back in front of you.

'W-what do you mean, Tomioka?' You ask, catching up to his distance to stand next to him.

'It doesn't matter.' He says, his voice still low as he starts walking towards the wisteria house.

'Tomioka, you need to tell me what's wrong.' You push, sprinting over to take his wrist. You feel him sigh, only letting go of your hand from his arm.

'You won't understand anyway.' He says gloomily, his eyes piercing as he glances over to you before trying to walk away.

'I won't only if you refuse to tell me.' You tell him, him only abruptly turning around to face you. Looking up at his face, you see the icy blue eyes, their surface looking calm as the ocean but tides high and low within.

'I'm not going inside until you tell me what's going on. Something is unsettling you, what is it?' You ask again, him looking more angry than anything, but you could sense it was only coating the deeper mess of emotions underneath.

'I don't deserve to be a hashira.' He finally says, looking away from your eyes, the anger fading from his eyes just to be replaced by darkness.

'What do you mean?' You ask, 'If it's because of the demon earlier-'

'It's not that.' He says curtly, his fist getting tighter by his side. 'I should have never been one.' He says, his voice more like a whisper although it felt like they were piercing your own self.

'Tomioka, I-' you try to offer any comfort except you stop as you see his eyes looking as closed off as you first saw him.

'Save it, L/n. You won't understand. You'll never understand. You still have your family, you earned your title, and you know it.' He says, his voice stern as his blue eyes pierces like cold daggers. He turns to leave, but you pull him back by his wrist pulling him into the ocean in your spirit just as his eyes meet yours.

Feeling your feet freely floating in the mist, you open your eyes, the snowflakes falling gently around you as always

Feeling your feet freely floating in the mist, you open your eyes, the snowflakes falling gently around you as always. Looking to your side, you see Tomioka's confused face as you still hold him by his wrist, pulling him forward deeper into the spirits.

'Promise to still be the four of us by the end.' Sakura says, her light yellow kimono matching her bright smile as your younger self nods.

'We need to stick together. Watch each other's backs. Then we can make it out altogether.' Haru says, him holding your young hand as you all stand by the wisteria trees, the deer symbol of spirit breathing almost shining on the white fabric around the children's arm.