Chapter 38 (feat. 🌿)

/////// two weeks ago ////////

Shinobu's pov

Y/n-chan, this one is for you.

I still remember the wise words you and your friend have told me, although I have never met him. Those words never left me since that day 8 years ago.

I will have not told you of this, well, anybody apart from my only surviving tsuguko, that is, because I know you will never agree to it. You are clever and kind enough to talk me out of this suicide plan before I know it. You probably would tell me if the three of us fight together, we can kill this demon for good.

But... I am not you, Y/n-chan.

I tried everything to develop poison to kill upper moons, but they never worked. However hard I tried...I am still weak unlike you.

Do you remember the time you came running into the woods when I was on the verge of death fighting one of them? I could not be more grateful when you showed up. But I also felt...I could never achieve what you had told me.

Will I ever be enough to kill this demon for my sister?

I don't blame you for any of my ugly thoughts, of course.

But it doesn't matter now. I know that I am not strong enough to kill this demon. So, this one more time, I am following your words.

If you have a disadvantage, you just have to find another way to win.

But please do not blame my death on yourself, Y/n-chan. It was my choice. I knew I could never fully overcome my weakness by just being good at herbs.

This is my way of becoming strong.

If I can't kill this demon alive, I will kill it as a dead swordsman.

///////

Kanao's pov

'It may be... going differently to our plan...but it's not over yet. Please go help her...' Master says as I help her lean against the wall in an empty room, having bandaged her wound with some herbs.

'But Master...'

'I'll be fine. Spirit herbs work fast.' She says, her usual smile stained with blood on the corner of her lips.

'The poison that I stabbed him with...does not work. Please go help her.' She says, pulling her hands away from mine.

'Now.' She says firmly, and I nod before slowly standing up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening the ripped door, I see Y/n-san covered in blood in the middle of the ruined room, ice shards covering the air. She swings the blade at the demon's neck, the white light burning the flesh as the demon's head hits on the floor. She lands back onto the ground, her hand still gripping the sword tightly as she watches the demon. The blonde demon's body starts disintegrating into the air, its face ripping into pieces as its flesh turn purple.

'Gomen nasai, Kanao.' I hear my name that I look up at Y/n-san, her back still facing me as the blood drips down her blade.

'You should have been the one to kill it for your sister.' She continues, her shoulders sagging although I can't see her face.