Chapter 42

Giyu's pov

I look to my side, Y/n running past me as I cut through the crescent moons, the silvery blue blade surrounded with white smoke. The snow deer spirit surfaces from the smoke onto the blade, its form becoming sharper as it becomes engraved on the silver nichirin metal.

'Y/n!' I yell as I see the white deer's mark appearing on her neck, the deer spirit shifting on the blade as the white light extends out from the blade once again.

'Come on!' Shinazugawa shouts, rushing forward with his sword on his side. I grip the hilt of my blade as Himejima-san restrains the demon once again, together with Genya's demon art.

The blade sinks deep into the demon as he struggles under the chains, and I force my feet to stay on the ground. From the corner of my eyes, I see one side of the bluish silver blade glint red, Y/n's arms trembling as the air vibrates through the sword. The blade burns with spirit flames, the white aura mixing with the red haze. The demon writhes under the tree engulfing him in place, forcing my sword out of its flesh that I squeeze the hilt harder, focusing on my feet on the floor.

'Giyu! Don't let him take your blade out!' I hear Y/n yell beside me, the white mark flashing silver as she forces the blade in deeper into the demon. Suddenly I feel my hands grow hot, the deep blue blade tainting with red heat as I push the blade forward.

////////////// 7 years ago //////////////

I try to blur out the sound of the hinoe-ranked girl wearing light blue haori with a braid talking constantly as she walks beside me towards the town of demon sightings, her having arrived just now but somehow talking non-stop since then.

'Do you think this demon will have special abilities? The ones I've killed this past few months have been all without any special powers so they were easy to take out.' She says as I feel the slight migraine creeping up onto my head from listening to her voice for the past minute.

'You never told me your name!' She says, making me jump as I feel her hand suddenly on my shoulder. I quickly slap her hand away, looking down at the girl looking lost as she brushes her hand.

'Tomioka Giyu.' I say, hoping she would finally leave me alone after this.

'L/n Y/n. You act kind of weird. Why do you get scared so easily? Shouldn't you be able to tell who's about to reach you from behind if you are a kinoe?' She says with a laugh, her amused voice ringing in my ear as she flicks her braid back from her shoulder.

'.....' I only look straight ahead as we walk towards the town, her gaze still on me as if to expect an answer.

'You use water breathing right? Do you think spirit breath and water breath would work well together?' She says, her eyes still looking up at me.

'I hate talking so don't talk to me.' I say instead, trying to get rid of her voice ringing around me. She frowns again, her expression looking confused with dot eyes as I walk past her. I hear her quickly walk up to me, her braid almost hitting me in the face as she jumps to catch up.

'Doesn't it get boring to walk in silence for hours?' She asks, her looking like she has not got the message.

'.....'