Chapter 24 | Short Escape

( POV: RAZE AEDEN RAVIA )

I spot my hands on her waist and assist her out of the carriage, running into the Keep to get to Faye as quickly as we can. The guards standing here should already calm us and make us realize that our daughter is safe but that doesn't happen. It won't. Not until we're holding her in our arms.

We burst into the bedroom, "Where's Faye?"

"Sh-she's asleep. Right here." Aiyana jumps up in fear, pointing toward Faye's bed. I hastily step toward her, feeling relief settle into my chest when I see her laying there. I position my hands on her head and back, taking her into my arms. I kiss the top of her head, slowing down my hastened breaths when I'm sure she's safe.

Fallon is right beside me, her hand on Faye's back as she presses her forehead against my chest, not slowing down her breaths at all. "She's okay, darling. Here," I gently hand Faye over and Fallon tightly holds her, kissing her head just like I did. Faye opens her eyes, yawning before she nuzzles into Fallon's neck. She spots her hand on Fal's necklace, she seems interested in it. Her hand firmly wraps around it and she doesn't let go.

"Oh," Fal softly smiles. "Raze, can you take it off? I don't want her to hurt herself." My love takes her tiny hand and kisses it, holding her back from toying with her necklace. I step behind Fallon, removing her necklace and placing it on top of the bed before I wrap my arms around both of them.

I kiss Fallon's hair and then Faye's, holding both of them so close, never wanting to let go. "Raze," I hear her soft voice, "It hurts."

"What hurts, darling?" I brush my hand over her cheek, removing her tiara as well because I can tell that everything's bothering her.

"The-" she gasps. "The corset," she gestures, and I spring into action, tugging at the tight strings. When the corset is loosened, she can breathe again. "It's probably the shot. It was near my lung so the corset is making it harder to breathe."

"Mm-hmm," I nod. "The shot you never should've jumped in front of."

"You can get mad at me once we're gone, okay?" She looks up at me with those tear-stained cheeks and I feel my heart break again. "Now please take her while I change and prepare a bag for us, okay?"

I don't question her because she's right. Even if it's just for tonight. We need to go. We can't stay here. Fallon can't stay here. Not when her father and Deimos are both nearby.

"Come on then, my little love. Let's watch mommy." I take Faye back and now she's fully awake. She's almost two months old and she's starting to stay awake for longer periods. She can lift her head more than before and yesterday she almost rolled over on the bed.