Chapter 30 | Messenger

( POV: FALLON AEDEN RAVIA )

My brother is leading the conversation, he's talking to them level-headed, with not even a tiny bit of uncontrollable emotion in his voice. He's so... He's so in control of himself and his emotions.

I can't help but admire him for it. I listen to him talk to them, not frightened to be vulnerable. He's not afraid to dig back into his old wounds. Wounds that are healing. They're not as bruised as they were. I'm incredibly proud of him.

"Maybe we're all fucked in the head for still trying to talk to you but... It's just how it is. You two destroyed our youth, our childhood. And now you're sitting in front of us, smirking. I don't fucking get it. Did you ever love us, Davina? Or should I call you mom? Because that's what you are, you know that right?"

She's sitting next to father, her legs wounded from Arcane's attack. He was incredibly gentle. Her dark hair is pulled up into a bun, it's very tight. No loose strands of hair. Not like she sometimes used to do. I guess being a prisoner here doesn't make it easy for her to dress like a lady. Corvina looks like her... I think she resents that the most. But Davina is a beautiful woman. That's the entire reason why our father was so blinded by her.

But I guess he wasn't blinded enough because he still had me with another woman... I don't understand him. I don't think I ever will but we're here to try precisely that. So try I shall.

"Of course, I'm your mother, don't be stupid."

He chuckles, "Is that all you heard?"

"I heard you," she shakes her head. "You know I love you." She sighs. "I love both of you. A lot. But you two just never seem to understand that. You treated me horribly. Always! You never loved me so why would I keep trying?"

"Because you're supposed to," Zale tells her. "You're supposed to never give up. But you hated being a mother. You couldn't do it. The responsibilities weighed you down. You'd rather be pretty and look good for everyone else. All I remember from you is you dismissing me every time I came to you. Screaming at me. Insulting me. You only ever showed me love when we were in public."

I remain silent, listening to Zale desperately trying to understand his mother.

She rolls her eyes, "That's ridiculous. Dracio, tell them. Tell them how good I've been to them."

I meet father's eyes, noticing that he was looking at Corvina's silent demeanor. I think that I see pain in his eyes but it fades just as quickly as I believed that I saw it. "Your mother has been nothing less than perfect. To all of you! All three of you even! She didn't need to be that good to you Fallon and she still was."

My reaction is a mere nod, I'm not going to engage. Not now. Zale needs his moment, Corvina too, they deserve their moment.

"You will never accept it. I can see that clearly now. But I won't ever forgive you for ignoring and encouraging the abuse that your husband inflicted on us. If you think that you're blameless because you never psychically hurt us, you're incredibly wrong. You didn't love me, Davina. You never did. And that's okay."