Chapter 11

With that  being said, we leave the room. Though I said that I wouldn't try anything, I still had the urge to say something to the people passing by us as we walked to the parking lot. I bite my bottom lip as I head to the passenger side of my car, James takes notice to my nervousness but doesn't say anything.

After driving for about ten minutes, we find a large diner and pull into it. Me being desperate for food, I hurry up and unfasten my seatbelt soon as the car parks. Just as I reach for the door handle James calls out," wait."

Thinking that I did something to make him upset, I close the door and turn back to him quickly," Y-yeah?"

"I know you're hungry. There's no need to rush," he chuckles. He unfastens his seatbelt then reach over to my side. Before I ask him what he's doing, he zips up my coat for me then says," I don't want you getting a fever out there."

"Oh thanks."

We both exit the car and head for the diner. I notice that there's a lot of cars in the parking lot meaning that there's probably a lot of people inside. I fiddle with my coat sleeves as James opens the door for me," let's go."

Before I can thank him, a host with a deep country accent welcomes us," Good evening fellas. You two look like you've been traveling long, let's get you a table."

"A booth is more preferred," James says as he pulls out a hat from his pocket. Just like before he pulls it close to his eyes and leaves out a few strands of hair to hide his identity. The host directs us to a booth that's close to the entrance which James asked for specifically. The diner was big more like a huge restaurant than what I was imagining. There were lots of families here enjoying their meals and laughing together. Seeing so many people in one place made me anxious. After handing us two menus the host leaves off to the front where more people have come in.

James takes off his coat and places it to the side as he grabs a menu and starts browsing.

"Are you sure this is okay? There's so many people here tonight, we could've just stayed at the motel which you planned to do before," I ask him nervously.

Without looking up he says," I'm doing this for you, risking being caught. Besides you're skinny enough as it is, I can't have you starving to death on me."

I lean back in my seat, not sure if I'm supposed to be touched or offended by his words."

"Pancakes and waffles sound great, what about you?" He folds the menu and tosses it on the table, as he holds his head up on his hand, staring me down.

I avoid eye contact with him by browsing through the food they have on their menu. The pictures of all the food they had on there was making my stomach growl loudly. After looking for a while, I finally find something I like," I know what I want."

James raises his hand to alert a waiter over. A waitress around twenty-five years old comes over to us with a bright smile. As she takes our orders, she looks at me from time to time with a creepy smile.

'She probably is looking at my bruised eye,' I let my hair fall in front of my face so that I wouldn't have to see her staring at me. After taking our drink orders she finally leaves.

James takes out a cigarette from his pocket and light it as he scans the area.

"Is it okay to do that here?" I whisper to him.

He shrugs his shoulders saying," Shit shows like these usually never care."

"Oh okay..."

An awkward silence fills the atmosphere as we wait. A few minutes later, the waitress comes back with our drinks. A coke for me and a root beer for James. Before she leaves, I catch a glimpse of her smiling again. I ignore her by sipping on my drink but as I do, my hair keeps falling in my face. I have to tuck it behind my ears for at least five times before I'm able to see clearly.