Chapter 34

I scratch my head showing him the way to the bathroom. As I walk in front of him, I can feel his eyes scanning me.

I open the bathroom door, revealing Angus's left-over handy work of old tools, gloves and a sledgehammer he left behind.

"Sorry I didn't quite get your name earlier," I turn back to him. His chest lifts as he takes in a deep breath," I'm Chris."

"I'm August," I don't reach out my hand to shake his because I hate touching strangers. I give him a warm smile with a nod, but he takes his rough hand into mine as he shakes it.

My nose scrunches up as I pull my hand away.

The man, Chris, then goes into the bathroom and crouches down. He drops down a heavy bag he carried around his shoulder with a clang. I lean against the doorframe as he inspects the bathroom sink and toilet.

"Yup, it's definitely busted," He groans as he gets up wiping the floor dirt off his hands.

'Yeah, no shit. '

He leans a hand on the doorframe towering over me with a grin. I take a step back from his overbearingness. Seeing this, he smirks.

'God what the hell is wrong with this guy? '

"No worries though, I can fix it in about two hours," he grins.

"Okay, can you also check on the one upstairs as well?"

He nods his head slowly. I smile some as I thank him and head back upstairs to James.

Soon as I reach the higher steps leading to the second floor, I see James leaning over the railing with a cigarette between his fingers as he watched me.

"Who's that?" He spoke in a low sultry voice.

"Just the maintenance man," I say as I approach him.

"Oh, is that right, you guys really seemed to be talking quite a lot just now," he rose a brow as he took a hit from the cigarette.

I stand by his side crossing my arms," You can't be out like this, you're still wanted in multiple states. If the maintenace man sees you, he could call the cops."

He only watches me with low lifted eyelids, then he puts out the cigarette by smashing it into the railing.

"Yeah, I know."

As we begin to walk back to the room, Chris suddenly calls out for me. I bite my lip, debating whether to go or not. James gives me a disapproving look as I turn to go back downstairs.

I make my way to the bathroom down the hall to find the maintenance man packing his things.

"Are you done already?"

He furrows his brows as he throws his bag over his shoulder," The pipes down here are frozen. I'll need to check the ones upstairs to figure out what tools I'll need to use."

'Please for the love of God let James be in the room. '

"Come on, this way," I guide him to the stairs.

"This is a real lovely home," he says as we walk upstairs.

"Thanks, it's actually my brother's home but he's letting me stay here."

"Is your brother as cute as you?" he chuckles while I on the other hand start to feel uncomfortable.

Once we're upstairs, I'm relieved to see that James isn't roaming around in the hall. I take Chris to the bathroom across the room James was probably in and say," Here it is."