Chapter 27

I try to make my trip to the store as quick as possible, but I end up getting stuck in the checkout line for thirty minutes longer than I wanted to. I was out for at least an hour, by the time I got back, the sky was starting to turn dark. When I pulled up in the driveway, I noticed that only two lights were on, one downstairs and one upstairs.

I could've sworn I saw someone peeking at me through the downstairs curtains since they moved steadily but maybe it was just my eyes. I take all the bags I have in both hands, to avoid a back-and-forth trip to the car. Once inside, I started on dinner, it was a small meal, so I was able to get it done fast.

My hand wipes the sweat that formed on my head as I finished setting the table.

"Dinners ready," I yell into the hallway, near the stairs so both James and angus could hear. I wait a moment for them to come out their rooms but only James comes. When he gets downstairs, he doesn't even say anything to me.

I wait a few more minutes for Angus to come out his room and join us, but he doesn't, though I can hear him walking around in his room.

I sigh as I go back into the kitchen and sit down at the table with James. There was an uncomfortable gloomy feeling just being around James at a time like this, but I could barely pay attention to him since I was so worried about Angus.

"This isn't good, he should eat something," I mumble to myself as I rub over my tired eyes.

James's fork scrapes his plate as he pokes around his food. The sounds weren't helping me relax at all.

"He must be tired from all the driving he did to get here," I say as I look at the other side of the table where James sat.

He leans back in his chair while poking at the plate before saying," I'm not hungry." With that, he gets up from the table, leaving his plate full of food that I worked so hard on all alone.

My hands clench onto my pants as I watch him go back upstairs. 'Ugh, what is he so upset about??' I should talk to him, but I'm mainly concerned about angus right now. It hurts being treated like this by him, he's the only one in my family to actually give a shit about me, I need to talk to him.

My eyes start to water as I lay my head down on the table, looking off to the side. The kitchens wallpaper was a light green shade, Angus said that he got it this color because it reminds him of me. When we were kids, he and I used to bake a lot in the kitchen during the summer. He said that my eyes would lighten up in the sunlight during that time so he turned the walls light green so he could be reminded of the time we spent together. Though we aren't as close as we were before we went our separate ways after college, I want us to go back to how we used to be. I miss Angus a lot, I regret not seeing him when he came home for dinner that night.

My eyes shut as I drowned in the memory of us. It wasn't until a few minutes later when I woke up to him sitting in the seat beside me, that I realized I fell asleep. He sat straight up as he ate his food slowly.

I quickly lift my head from the table," Why didn't you eat when the food was still fresh? I can heat it up for you."

His dark green eyes travel over to mine as he says," That's fine, I just didn't want to eat with him."

I nod my head slowly so he can see that I understand where he's coming from. He takes another bite of his cold grits and shrimp saying," I also hate who you become when you're with him."

"What does that mean?" I ask in a small voice as I look down at my trembling hands, I'm nervous about saying the wrong thing and upsetting him again.

"You just seem like you need to constantly be someone he wants you to be instead of being yourself."

"I promise you that's not who I am anymore, he actually taught me how to love myself more."

As I said this, Angus lowered his spoon, glancing back over to me with a raised brow," And how exactly has he done that?"

I hold my head high as I say quickly," He taught me to always say what's on my mind, by doing that I'm able to speak more clearly and confidently. I've never been so sure of myself before meeting him, he makes me so happy Angus."

"For a 'friend' he makes you that happy?" A small smile spreads across his face as he continues," Yeah, okay."

I'm not sure if he believes me or not, but I'm just glad to see him smile. He ruffles my hair, messing it up as he gets up saying," Thank you for dinner, I'll clean this all up."

I get up, pushing my chair in. He takes all the dishes and clears them before turning on the faucet and washing them. I wanted to talk to him more but sometimes it's better to just leave things how they are and just enjoy the moment. We can break the ice once he's more settled in. For now, I need to make up with James and I know just how to do it.

I leave Angus behind in the kitchen as I make my way upstairs. The floorboards creak from my heavy footsteps as I walk over to the bedroom. I raise my hand into a fist, ready to knock but stop once I hear a door open behind me. I turn around to see James coming out the bathroom with a towel around his waist.

I lick my lips, admiring his bare muscular body, I want to be hold by him, but I need to make up with him first. "What is it now?" He asks without looking at me as he opens the door, entering in the room. I bite my lip as I follow behind him, locking the door. He sits on the bed and takes off the wet bandage on his stomach. His wound looked nasty; red dried-up blood circled the rim around it as puss oozed out. I stop myself from gagging as I slowly walk over to him," Let me help you."

"I can take care of myself," he grunts while placing an alcohol pad on it.

I sit down on my knees in front of him while moving his hands from his open wound. He looks down at me with small droplets of water rolling off his hair. His chest heaves up and down, making his abs move right in front of me. I take the alcohol and pour more of it on the pad, I press it on his wound with force making him groan out loud.

"Dammit august, what the hell?" He says in a pained voice.

I look up at him with my frail eyes as I ask," Why have you been giving me the cold shoulder all day?"

He looks down at me, rolling his eyes as he glances to the side. I push into his wound with two fingers, making him shut his eyes.

"Okay fine! I was just upset!"

I add another finger into the wound as I shout," Why? What the hell did I do to make you this upset?"

"You lied about us right in front of me! You made me feel like what we have isn't as important to you as it is to me!" He shouts as he stares down at me with bloodshot eyes.

My eyes widen from his confession.

"Ah shit," he groans while sinking in his stomach. I move my hand from his wound as I say," I-I'm sorry."

I finish cleaning his wound and sit back on my knees. He rubs the bandage slowly as he furrows his brows," You sure do know how to torture a man."

My hands curl into fist as I say confidently," I didn't mean to make you feel that way, I was just scared. I didn't want to throw any more surprises into Angus's face."

"I kind of figured that out later on but was still upset with you."

I let out a breath of relief but say still concerned," Is that all that was bothering you?"

His eyes trail off to the side as he says," Yeah."

I smile as I jump into his arms, he catches me perfectly and falls back into the bed. I place a ton of kisses on his face as I say," I'm so sorry James, please forgive me."

He laughs gently while sneaking his hand down to my ass," Baby I've already forgiven you. I should be the one apologizing to you."

I lean up, saying," No! You've done nothing wrong to apologize for, let me make it up to you."

He raises his brow as I lower back down to the ground while keeping eye contact. I slowly undo the towel around his waist, revealing his already hard dick. I lick my lips as I wrap my small mouth around the tip. He throws his head back saying," Fuck."