Chapter 56

After Priest led me back to the interrogation room, he left. Before I was sent to sleep in a holding cell, about two more officers came to interrogate me. They both made me wish priest was by my side again. My first night spent in jail was the worst. The guard who was supposed to be watching me fell asleep so I couldn't ask him for something to cover myself with, I had no choice but to listen to the old radio station he had on, which felt like eternity and another person they had locked up wouldn't stop snoring in the next cell over to me. Throughout all this though, the only peace I had was to only imagine whatever shit hole they put James in. The thought of him sleeping somewhere cold and alone made my night go by a whole lot faster and before I knew it, it was morning. 

I sit up from the hard metal bed they had for us criminals as I crack my neck. The smell of donuts and brewing coffee filled my nose, causing me for the first time to think about my old work life. I sit up, disassociating as I daydream over the days when I spent all my time in my office room, working for almost fourteen hours straight. The work was a lot and my coworkers never seemed to want to help me with anything, so I was always on my own. From the time I first started there to the time it ended, no one ever seemed to actually appreciate the work I put in to making the company strong. I have horrible dark circles under my eyes from spending so much time staring into my computer screen. I even have arthritis in my left hand from all the work I did. And thanks to me almost never seeing the sun, I now have very pale skin. However, through all those horrid memories of that place, my only sanctuary into coming there was the donuts and coffee my boss would bring in for us on Wednesdays. They were sometimes stale and always glazed flavored, but I always cherished that he actually showed some appreciation to his employees. 

The smell of coffee brewing through the air refreshes my memory to my last day working there. I was so tired and stressed, yet now seeing where I am today, I'd give anything to have it back. I don't know maybe I rushed into my future and projected my happiness into James on my own.

 I was so desperate to be loved that I fell in love with a psychopath, now because of my own mishaps, my brother is gone. He won't return to his family...his wife...... and his loving daughter. The thought of how the police probably broke down the news to them floods my mind and suddenly, I can't seem to stop crying. 

I wipe my eyes as my gaze shifts down to my feet. My feet are cold and bare since no one bother enough to get me any shoes but it's not like I blame them. I know what they're all thinking and for the most part, it's true. I'm a mentally challenged man who helped a criminal commit mass murder, I deserve nothing. No shoes, no empathy, and no forgiveness. I understand anyone who believes that I'm a sick person. 

As I drown into my thoughts, I hear a small knock at my cell bars. I wipe my eyes as I take a look at who's here to escort me to court. Priest stands at the cell bars as an officer unlocks the doors and places hand cuffs on me. The officer steps aside as priest comes over to me. 

"Goodmorning..." I say almost in a whisper. Instead of saying anything back, he just grabs hold of my arm and directs me towards some tall doors leading to the rest of the station. 

'It was stupid of me to say anything to him at all, he is the leading detective of this case. Of course he's not going to conversate with a suspect. ' I keep my eyes to the floor as he scans his badge against a monitor. The door handle makes a click noise, and he pushes it open. I follow by his side as we enter the hallway. 

"I've had to speak with many families last night," he says deeply out of nowhere. Sensing the grief in his voice, I keep my mouth shut as I listen to him. 

I can feel many eyes on us as we turn down the hall. 

Priest sighs as he continues, without looking at me," I had to analyze a lot of dead bodies yesterday August. A lot. And many of them indicate that they been tainted with by two people."

He stops talking for a moment as we stop to head into an elevator. I enter the small space with him as he hits the ground button. Once the doors shut and begin moving down, I look up to notice that it's just the two of us alone in here. 

"August, I need you to listen to me," he finally let's go of my arm. Before I can say anything, he slams his palm on the emergency break button causing everything to go black. My chest raises up and down as I look around in the darkness. 

"Preist......" I mumble.

Feeling a warm presence approaching me, I take a few steps back until my back is pressed against the elevator's walls. 

"August, you need to be honest with everyone no matter what the turn out happens to be," he finally says. "I can't promise you automatic freedom from this, but I can guarantee you that right now, more than ever the families of every last victim James has killed needs to hear the truth. Let these people have some type of closure. Please......" he says desperately. 

I open my mouth to speak but I'm interrupted as he presses onto the emergency button again. All the lights appear back on and he's somehow not even close to me, facing the doors as the elevator begins moving again. 

"I can't have us sitting here forever, they're waiting for you," he mutters without turning to me. 

I let a sigh of relief leave me as I take my place back beside him. Even though he seems like a pretty okay guy, I can't trust anyone anymore. I don't want to be hurt anymore. 

The doors ding as they open up to the huge main hall of the police station. Police all-around us stop what they're doing just to stare at us as we pass. Many of them make small remarks towards me but I try not to listen as we exit. The chilly winds struck me as we go outside. 

"Listen August, I don't know you very well, but I've had to look into the eyes of many killers, and I don't recognize one in you. Not even remotely close. I know you have foretaken some parts in his crimes and all I want is what's best for everyone, the truth. I want you to think about everything I've said to you up until and now and make the smart decision. "

I look down to the cuffs on my hand as I bite my lip. 

"I will..."

Priest guides me to the police van, followed by two more officers. He hands me over to one of them and starts to have a conversation with the other officer. The officer handling me, sits me in the van. I sit down as he then hands me a pair of shoes. I take them and put them on, finally feeling warmth on my feet. 

Before the van doors close, Priest gives me a look of almost pity as he turns to leave.