Chapter 14

Sometime later we finish watching the news then head off to bed. Today was a super long and hard day for me. It's weird now that I think about it. Just a few hours ago, I was thinking that I'd be sleeping outside in some forest, but now I'm here sleeping right beside my kidnapper in a dingy motel. I feel like the craziest thing about today is how I've seen three people die right before me by the hands of James and now I'm here sleeping with him under the same sheets. And why? all because he said," I love you?" Is that supposed to magically change how I feel about him...... I don't know exactly. I know this is wrong, but I just want to give this feeling my all. Him my all. And who knows? Maybe I can change him to be a better person.

...Maybe.

As I toss and turn, my nose catches a whiff of a rotten odor. I cover my nose, trying to block out the stench but it's no use. I sit up and scan the dark room, but I can't really see anything. James groans as he turns to face me," Can't sleep?"

"No, it's not that. I'm extremely tired but I smell something that's irritating my nose."

James sits up as well, looking around as he says," It's......probably nothing."

I can't exactly see him with how dark the room is, but I turn to look at him anyway.

"How can you not smell that!"

"I do, it's just......There's nothing we can do for now. It's still early and many people are still up right now. Trust me, the best thing we can do right now is sleep."

'What does he mean by that? '

His hands trace all over the bed until they find mine. He takes them, rubbing gently. 

"Come here."

I scoot over to his side of the bed, feeling his warmth as I get closer. He holds my back, laying me down gently before laying right beside me. Before I can ask what he's doing, he pulls me into his embrace so that my head is pressed against his chest.

"Is this supposed to sooth my senses?" I mumble into his chest. He chuckles saying," Not really but I did take a shower earlier so maybe my body wash will overcome the smell."

As soon as he says this, I get a strong whiff of his scent. It smells like cocoa butter, maybe it's the motel's lotion. I wouldn't know since I didn't put any on. With our body temperatures combined the bed starts to grow warmer. I snuggle into his embrace, taking in even more of his scent.

"Told you that you'd like it," he teases.

Being too tired to respond, I let myself fall into a deep sleep with his long breaths playing as my white noise.

 I've been so exhausted all day; my body feels like it's been through hell and back. I'm so glad to be finally getting some sleep. That is until I'm shaken by a strong force. 

"August, wake up," James whispers while shaking me.

The bed creaks as I turn away from him. He gets up, turning on the lights as he urges me," We need to leave now."

"Why?" I mumble while cuddling with my pillow.

"We need to get rid of the bodies."

My eyes shoot open as I sit up," What!"

"Ssh," he raises his index finger to his mouth before continuing," I couldn't exactly do it earlier with all those people outside."

My heart races as my eyes scan all over the room," No way they're still in here with us right now."

 "Hate to break it to you but they are."

'So that stench from earlier was coming from them? I knew it. '