Chapter 50

'Time.

That's all he needs.

I can give him that...... but for how long? How long can I really stand not being around him? Not being able to see his delicate smile. Not being able to feel my heart melt every time I see his hazel eyes.

Can I really do this?'

"I have to."

"You have to what dear?" My mother asks before taking a sip of her wine.

I raise my head up, realizing that I'm at the dinner table.

'How did I get here? Was I here the whole time? '

My gaze shifts over to the maids in line, but I don't see him. I can feel my head pounding as I lean back in my chair, pushing away my dinner plate slightly. The aroma of baked chicken Shelly made was beginning to irritate my senses.

Noticing my slight change in my attitude, my mother speaks up," Dear, is there something wrong with your dinner?"

I rub over my closed eyelids, trying to ease my upcoming migraine.

"No, it's fine."

"Then why don't you eat?"

"Because I'm not hungry?"

"Should I call the doctor?"

"At this time of night? No, I'm fine. Just stop......"

"...Stop what?"

"Talking."

My mother lowers her gaze to her plate as she stops pestering me. I knew that she would rat me out to my father once he returns home tomorrow but I didn't care. Everything was irritating me; I can't be bothered with her when the one person I truly care for, finds me overbearing.

My chair scrapes against the hardwood floor as I stand.

"I'm not hungry."

"But dear you haven't eaten a proper meal in days," My mother tries to get me to stay but I ignore her as I head upstairs.

I try finding something to do by reading a book in the library, but I eventually get bored. The time was now past nine meaning that all our maids weren't needed anymore. I go over to the balcony to watch as they walk home, when my eyes suddenly fall upon Shawn waiting for Shelly near a tree. I can already feel my heart racing just from the look of him. As the older maids greet him as they pass by, his eyes meet mine. The smile he had just now falls into a frown as he stares up at me.

'How long has it been since I last saw him? Like four days. That has to have been enough time for him to miss me. '

I send him a small wave, but he ignores it and begins walking away with Shelly once she finally comes outside. He wraps a thin cardigan around her as their dim lantern fades away in the darkness.

'What the hell was that? Doesn't he miss me, it's almost been a week since he last saw me. How can he be so cruel? What have I done to deserve this treatment? '

Feeling lost by my emotions, I make a rash decision to go see him the next morning.

Since Tuesdays are the only days my father has at home, our maids won't be coming today. That means that they'll be there at the farmhouse when I go see him but why should I care? I don't have to explain myself to anyone, if I want to see him I shall.

I try to be secrete about my little plan to go to the maid house but once I'm downstairs, I just so happen to bump into someone.

"What are you doing up so early?" My father yawns as he smacks my head lightly with a rolled-up newspaper.