Chapter 9

The cool forest air makes me shiver slightly as I hang on tightly to James's neck, not wanting to fall.

"You're going to be alright," he grunts. I loosen my hold around him but still cling close to him. Though we've been walking for quite a while and he's been talking the whole time, I've kept quiet. I mean who can really blame me? Who'd want to talk to a murderer? Let alone talk to them while receiving a piggyback ride from them. This is on so many levels wrong.

Instead of engaging in conversation, I listen but not to him. I listen to the faint sounds of cricketing around us and the distant sound of water flowing as we walk further and further away from it. I keep my eyes peeled for any sight of people as well, but God is never on my side, so I eventually stop and take in my surroundings.

Everything around us is covered in moss; the trees, roots, and fallen logs. I've never been one to enjoy nature and all its features that comes with it. Whenever I do, I'd go back inside because a bug decides to crawl on me. Even now I still feel so uncomfortable. The air is dense, making the back of my neck moist in sweat. Every time I hear a branch crack, my mind starts to think of a bear or other dangerous creatures out here that could possibly be following us. I want to try closing my eyes and blocking everything out but the image of James killing that boy from earlier plays out in my mind. This sucks, I can't even distract myself. I'm left with nothing to do except listen to whatever the hell James was saying.

"Tell me something about yourself, I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to myself."

"Do I really need to?"

"It would make our journey feel less like a journey and more like a quick walk."

I bite my bottom lip as I think of what to say. "Well......I have a brother; his name is Angus. He's the only person whose been checking on me this whole time I've been gone up until now. He's probably losing his mind now that I haven't been able to check in with him."

"Do you miss him?"

"Obviously."

James grows quiet for a moment as he suddenly stops walking. Since I'm behind him, I can't exactly read his expression. Just as I try to break the silence, he carefully lifts me up more, readjusting my position, then proceeds to walk forward. "Tell me more about him," his voice was low almost as if he was upset about something. I decide to not ask him about his behavior and tell him more about Angus.

The conversation starts off with me telling him about our childhood together and how our parents always treated us differently. Then it escalates into our teen years until I realize that I'm basically telling him about me and my brothers whole life story up until now.

"He's now happily married with a beautiful baby girl. I love them all so much. His wife is just like him, if not better."

The uncomfortable feeling I had a little while ago starts to fade as If it were never there in the first place. Anytime I talk about Angus I feel like everything bad around me doesn't matter anymore. I'm so envious of him and his family, they're everything I wanted in a family when I was a kid. So nice, welcoming and nonjudgmental.

"Angus is so lucky that he even managed to make a little great person just like him. My niece is an exact replica of her father." A small smile forms on my face as I picture the last time I saw her. Though I haven't seen Angus or his family in a while, the longing feeling of happiness never goes away.

"You seem to admire him a lot."

"I do. Though I'm also jealous. He has something I've always wanted."

"And what is that?"

"A loving family," I admit subconsciously.

"Shit," I mumble to myself. That isn't exactly something you should just admit out loud, especially to someone like him. I can't believe I just said that. My mind just goes blank as I bite my bottom lip thinking of what James will say to judge me. He's always saying something sly and underhanded, so I expect the worst to happen, but it doesn't. Instead, he says nonchalantly," What's so wrong about wanting something so good?"