Chapter 55

My face rests against a cold and extremely uncomfortable metal table as I gain consciousness. I bring my hand up to my head as I feel for the knot forming on my forehead.

"Ugh......"

I lick over my dry lips as I pull my head off the table. My eyes follow along the metal until I see a big fat hairy arm. My head raises properly as I look over to the man across from me. He has one hand in his pocket with the other one resting against the table. He gives me a look of disgust as he watches me like a hawk.

"Do you know why you're hear?" He asks, finally breaking the silence with his unhedged voice.

I take in a deep breath, not really thinking of the question as I answer compulsively," Because my brother was murdered."

"Murdered?" He scoffs in disbelief while shaking his head.

My brows raise as I start to realize that he thinks that I killed August. I try to bring my hands up to hand gesture that I'm not the one who did it, but they pull against the cuffs making me grit my teeth in pain.

I gulp, drawing my eyes down to the table.

'A murderer, do they really think I'd do that to my own brother? '

"Sir please, I -" I try to speak but stop, seeing him rise. He slowly walks over to my side of the table and leans against it with his arms cross. I bite my tongue in suspense while he stares down at me.

"We've had our suspensions about Mr. London having a partner in crime, but we've never looked into it being true until we saw you tonight. It all makes sense really. No way he had all the time in the world to just kill and get rid of the bodies in an instant, he had to have had someone on the sidelines. And that someone is you, August."

My eyes widen from hearing my name aloud. A smirk forms on his face as he takes notice to my wariness.

"Now don't get me wrong here, we don't exactly have evidence of you being at any of the crimes apparently. Mr. London is very good at keeping his little secret from others. All I really want to know is why. That's all we want to know right? Why? Why did he do it? What was his motive? Tell me August and you'll never have to see him again."

I hesitantly part my mouth open, ready to speak until the door suddenly bursts open. Shocked from this, the officer gets off the table and stands up straight. A man drenched in rain enters the room with a look of anger. His eyes send daggers towards the officer. Not being able to tell if he's an officer too since he's not in uniform, I look him up and down. He takes a small second to send me a quick glance back before he approaches the officer.

"Sorry sir, they told me to watch him, but I just had to get an answer out of him!" The officer apologizes like he's been caught in a crime. His once eerie energy dies down to guilt as he keeps his head down.

"Get answers and do what huh? Get a fucking trophy for being a hero? Get the fuck out of here, you know your place," the other guys surprisingly says in a calm manner, though his words were nothing but calm.

The officer doesn't argue back as he passes by the guy quickly. Once he's gone, the stranger sighs before loosening the tie around his neck.

I keep quiet, not wanting to say anything to get me into further trouble. Keeping my head down, focusing on the handcuff on my wrists, I can hear the man taking a seat in front of me.

"You hungry?" Is the first thing he says to me. Not expecting this, I look up to find him already staring at me. His beige trench coat is drenched in rain just like his white dress shirt underneath it, revealing his thin muscles.