Chapter 42

"August," he whispers.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry," his voice was weak and low. I gently rub his back as we sit still in the steamy water.

"I'm sorry too," I finally say after a few seconds of quietness. He slowly pulls out of the hug to look into my eyes but doesn't let go of my waist.

"For what? This is all my fault. I shouldn't have brought you into this life, my life. As much as I love you, I won't be able to forgive myself if I ever do something bad to hurt you again. I hate how upset I get over little things. I hate how I take it out on you when I know I shouldn't. It's selfish of me to want to stay with you, knowing it'll only bring you into more harm. But I can't help it. You're my life, my world, my love, so don't ever apologize for something I started in the first place."

His words were so sweet it felt like my heart was melting. My usual reaction would be to cry over moments like these. I'd cry because I don't usually receive kind words and I'm overwhelmed with happiness. However now, at this very moment I'm overwhelmed with happiness but not crying, instead I can feel myself breaking out into a laugh.

A small smile starts to form on my face, in attempt to hide it I lower my head. James tilts his head to the side to check on me," Shit, did I make you cry? I'm sorry."

I let out a small laugh as I splash some water at him. "The hell?" he groans as he wipes his face.

"Your so corny," I joke, his eyes glisten as he watches me laugh my ass off, the corners of his lip's lifts into a warm smile.

"Oh, I'm corny huh?" His voice turns cocky making my laughter come to a halt.

His warm smile soon forms into a devilish smirk.

"James?" I question while scooting off him.

His eyes slowly scan me up and down making me gulp.

"Come 'ere," he says just before grabbing my arm and yanking me back over to him. "Ahh," I cry out as his thick fingers press into my skin gently. My legs and hips shift around uncomfortably fast causing water to slip out of the tub.

He traps me in his arms and leans his chest on my back, tickling me even more.

"If I'd known you were this ticklish, I'd do this shit a lot sooner."

I lightly pat his arms under the water in hopes he'd release me. I try to plead with him but can barely get out a proper sentence, "Ah! o-Ookay! Skjh- Y-youre not kornhee!!!"

Between my horse laugh and the bath water splashing out the tub, I was certain that Angus would come upstairs but he never did.

"Alright, I guess I can let you go."

Though he said that, he made sure to get a few more tickles in before finally letting me go.

I let out a long breath of relief as I relax my back on his chest. He holds me in his arms while resting his head on my shoulder, swaying us side to side.

"I love you," he whispers into my ear.

"I love you too James, more than anything."

Our sweet moment almost made me forget that were in a tub full of literal blood.

As he snuggles his head onto my shoulder, I shift around uncomfortably at the realization of how disgusting this is.

"Uh, James?"

"Yeah?"

I clear my throat as I say," Could we maybe get out of here now? My fingers are turning wrinkly."