Chapter 7: Exquisite Beauty

Harry looked around, outside the car window, as Weems drove them to Jericho. The sky was blue but puddles covered the streets due to a recent rain. Harry wondered if the lack of sky tears was a bad sign. Rain always brought him peace, gave him a smile. Especially when he cried. It felt as if he was not crying alone.

Wednesday simply sat in the front seat staring forward. Her mind was on the dreaded feeling she possessed when thinking about therapy. Who would subject themselves to such mental torture, and not the fun type of torture.

Jericho felt to cliche for a small town in Harry's opinion. Old buildings made of brick, a white church at the end of the street. A town that gets it's money from Nevermore and the cheap gimmick that is pilgrim world. Harry did not think he would ever want to live in a small town. He would much rather live in the city, or be a recluse who lives in the woods.

The car pulled into a parking spot near the office building. Harry did not really understand why Weems was driving them, he was not stupid and was well aware it was above her pay grade.

"Dr. Kinbott's office is on the second floor," Weems told the pair of new students. "Other Nevermore students swear by her. Wednesday, you will go first."

"You'll be here until I'm done?" Wednesday asked, her motives more than Weems' would  anticipate.

"Perhaps," Weems began to suggest, "afterwards we can visit the Weathervane for hit chocolate."

"Principal Weems, this feeble attempt at bonding is beneath you," Wednesday point blank told the woman. Harry had to suppress the giggle that rose in his throat.

"Harry," Wednesday had to add as she opened the door, "behave yourself." Harry smiled a little bit knowing Wednesday cared as she got out of the car. He watched her walk into the building her uniform skirt swaying.

"Chauffeuring students must be below your pay grade," Harry spoke quietly when it was only the two of them.

"Given Wednesday's history," the principal began, "I'm sure her intentions are to run away. I'm here to prevent that from happening."

"You will certainly need luck," Harry whispered so that Weems could barely hear it.

"What was that?" she questioned Harry looking back at the small teenager.

"Would you mind if I go to the Weathervane while I wait?" Harry softly asked avoiding the woman's question. His goal was simply to do as he had been told.

"Make sure to return in time," Weems spoke much colder than to Harry than she did Wednesday. Harry simply nodded and opened the van door. Carefully he grabbed his backpack and got out of the car. Carefully he made his way over to the cafe. His only hope was that Wednesday would not take long to arrive.

Once inside he slipped into an empty booth. Anxiety ran through him as he sat doing nothing. He had not money to buy anything, due to his parents choosing to give him none. He simply sat and waited.

Eventually waiting and doing nothing became to much. He decided to pull a coloring page from Xavier and his old crayons from his tattered bag. Calmly he colored, hiding the anxieties that attacked him.

The sound a a loud burst of stream startled Harry. Due to this the crayon in his hand drew outside of the lines. He pouted and sent a small glare at the young barista behind the counter. Now his picture was ruined and he may never see Xavier again to get a new picture from.

Harry watched as Wednesday walked in and smiled. Carefully, but quickly he put his crayons and picture away and got out of his seat. He followed her up to the counter her steps filled with intention.