Chapter 36: Was Touched

"Come on!" Wednesday said with urgency as she pulled Harry along. The small boy did his best to stay as close as possible. Heart racing due to seeing the monster in the woods. He feared for his life, and the life of Wednesday. Rationality was cast from his mind as a tear or two fell.

Rain pelted down on them as the ran. Harry's eyes stayed trained down. He watched Wednesday's feet as they rushed along. Wednesday suddenly slowed, tripping Harry over. His body flung forward sending him into the mud. Wednesday saw something notable, just as Harry fell harshly on his back. Mud now covering his clothing and tangling itself in his hair.

"The monster is human," Wednesday muttered softly as another person rushed over. An umbrella was in his hand, but he dripped it at seeing Harry laying on his back, coughing, and shivering.

"What the hell are you doing?" Xavier asked Wednesday as he went down on one knee. He helped Harry sit up. The small boy looked cold and afraid.

"I was following the monster," Wednesday spoke, shocking Harry. He had thought they were running from the beast. While Wednesday spoke Xavier was taking off his jacket and wrapping it around a shivering Harry.

"You saw it? It's here? Do you have a death wish or something?" Xavier asked as he picked up Harry while water fell on them. He looked at the beautiful face belonging to Harry and saw hit tears in his rosy cheeks.

Carefully Xavier grabbed the umbrella and held it over himself and Harry.tge tiny boy being quite light allowing Xavier to easily hold him.

"What are you doing here?" Wednesday asked as an aversion to the questions. A hint of guilt so foreign present. Harry was with her, Harry could have gotten hurt.

"I overheard you say you were checking out the old meeting house," the tall boy responded simply holding Harry close. Harry wrapped his slim arms around the boy's neck, and hurried his pretty face into Xavier's neck. Harry just wanted to be held to be comforted, he was scared.

"It's lucky I showed up when I did," Xavier told her. "You do realize you could have gotten Harry hurt. Didn't you already hurt him today. Do you even care about him?" Harry felt spacy he felt tired. Something was  odd under his skin. He was not sure what was happening at the moment.

"I did learn one thing," Wednesday Told Harry in response. "The monster is human. It's tracks turned from monster prints to human ones."

Xavier wanted to berate her. She never displayed emotion, and never seemed to actually care for Harry. At least in the eyes of Xavier. It seemed she treated him more like a new puppy than a friend. The fact that she was avoiding the subject frustrates the tall boy. Was it that hard to express emotion to someone you seemed to care for?

Xavier, was however unaware of the unusual messiness of Wednesday's mind. It was usually so neat and organized, but not lately. The small boy who walked into her line rucked it all up. Made her question things and made her feel things. It was foreign in many ways and she did not know how to comprehend them. What was one to do when they viewed a person as more valuable than the most precious diamond.

"Show me," was the response Xavier chose never releasing his hd on Harry. Wednesday led them over to where they could be seen with clarity. Rain never ceased. They stopped, Xavier looked at the ground in search for the footprints. Markings that did not seem present in the mud.

"The rain washed them away," Wednesday told Xavier, who let out a scoff in response. "I know what I saw."

"I'm trying to keep an open mind," Xavier told the girl with an undertone that held mockery. Harry at that moment let out a sweet whine. A weird feeling was beginning to cause him some discomfort.