Golden eyes

During the collection I unconsciously moved away, detaching myself from the group and finding myself near the river.

Luckly not only this place is very close to the city and we have been traveling this area for years so they know it inside out, but there are many guards and constant checks for any dangers, so this area is safe.
However, it is better not to risk it and go right back to the others so as not to make them worry. Just as I was about to turn back, I see someone sitting on a rock by the river.

Short silver-white hair, sharp features and a dark complexion muscular body; he is really handsome, but the most captivating things were his eyes.
That eyes, oh that eyes, they were like a melted pot of the richiest, finiest gold; so beautiful, and yet so sad.

That sense of loneliness and sadness could seep into my bones. I know this male, or rather I know his story even though I've never met him.

He is Yuma, a snow leopard beastman and the last of his kind. His tribe has always preferred to remain isolated from the others, they were more powerful than other beastmen with equal stripes and therefore considered a threat. So when they were attacked en masse by ferals no one came to their aid, although they had always been peaceful.

Yuma was the only survivor of that massacre, he was only a little cub when it happened.
After surviving he managed to get to beast city by following merchants.
When he arrived, tired and undernourished, he was granted mercy only because he was a little cub and the last of his kind, but he still had to provide for his needs alone, between fear and mistreatment from the others. Now having grown up (he has just become an adult), more and more females have started to notice him and the males hate him even more.

I know those feelings, that sadness and loneliness very well. I experienced them in my previous life after the death of my parents. None of my relatives wanted to take care of my brother and me, they only saw us as burdens and once they divided our parents' inheritance between them, they kicked us out without giving us even a penny.

Overnight we became poor, penniless and homeless. At first we slept on the street, then luckily I found a job and we were able to rent a room to sleep. Everywhere we went, people pointed at us and spoke badly of us.

A colleague of mine once said that my parents death hadn't been an accident but they had killed themselves on purpose, because they didn't want to be near us either. It was a really bad time, but at least I had my brother next to me, Yuma has no one.

I wish I could give him some comfort, I wish he would understand that what other people say doesn't matter, that he's not alone in all of this.

I gathered my courage and walked over to the river and sat down a couple of meters away from him.

I immediately felt his gaze on me. The temperature dropped to an ice level.

(Author: Y is for Yuma and R for Rosa)

R:"Good weather, isn't it? I didn't make you the river type," said Rosa

Y:"What do you want?" he said with a cold voice

R:"Just talk and admire the scenery"

Y:"Find someone else to talk to"

R:"Why should I when you're here and I can do both? The real question is why shouldn't I talk to you? I don't see why"

Y:"You know why. Everyone knows it"

R:"But that's not a valid reason not to talk to you. And you know it. You also know..." but she was interrupted

Y:" I don't need your pity!! Neither yours nor that of others. Now leave immediately before I scar your pretty little face." he said showing his claws.

R: "It's not pity. It's empathy. I know how you feel and..." but she was interrupted again.

Y:" What do you want to know? You're only a cub! A cub who grew up in a protected and loved environment, you will never understand how it feels "

'Oh, if you only knew' Rosa thought

R:"Maybe I won't be able to understand how it feels but I can understand basic things. Think of it like this, it's something so obvious that even a cub like me knows it. You're a person too, and as a person you deserve respect. You didn't do anything wrong, you didn't choose to be a snow leopard beastman, you didn't choose to have your tribe wiped out and we both know you had no choice but to stay in beast city to survive.
People only like to talk shit about others, bully the different or the weakest, and take advantage of the others, it makes them feel strong. But you don't have to give them importance, because if they do it, the reason is that they realize that you can be better than them, and this scares them, it makes them get angry, so they try to shut you down. You're not at fault, just old unfounded grudges against your kind are falling back on you. You're a good person.
You deserve to stand tall proud of your kind, you deserve to be admired and praised for your strength, not insulted, you deserve to be accepted, you deserve to have someone to rely on, you deserve to have someone to take care of you, you deserve to be loved too, and belive me Yuma, you will have all this, maybe not now and not here, but you definitely will. There's always light in the dark."

Yuma's eyes wiedened slightly and the two looked at each other for what seemed like forever.

Unfortunately the moment was interrupted by:
" DUMB, WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?! I'M GONNA KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T COME NOW!" Said an angry Saika with a worried voice.

As soon as Rosa heard it, she thought 'oh my god, I'm dead', she got up quickly and said to Yuma
"Well, it seems they're looking for me. I have to go. Goodbye".

When she was already halfway interrupted by a voice:

"Wait female. What's your name?"

Rosa turned to with a kind smile said:

"Rosa. My Name is Rosa."

Then she turned and walked away.

Yuma didn't know why he had asked that female's name. perhaps because he wanted to name the first person who had spoken to him over the years, or perhaps because he wanted to hear that delicate voice one last time. As soon as he realized he had thought this last thing, Yuma got angry with himself. 'STUPID, STUPID, STUPID' he repeated in his mind. What the hell is he up to?! A few words cannot change years of pain and grief. Nothing can change that. He is alone and forever will be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you like this chapter?
Please vote and comment, share your opinion<3