34| grade A asshole

SETH

"Tessa Urquillo, room number 656", the nurse said and Jessica took his hand as they both navigated around the big ass hospital.

It didn't take long to find room 656 because standing outside was Mars looking like shit. He inhaled a sharp breath knowing that things were going to get ugly.

It was only a matter of time before Jessica--

"What's Mars doing here?"

And there was the question he had dreaded. Like any man in his situation, he stared at her and pretended not to have a fucking clue about Mars' presence outside Tessa's room.

By the time they got to where a haggard looking Mars stood, with his head buried in his hands and his ass on one of the cold metallic seats outside, Jessica had already put two in two together.

"Mars", Jessica called out and her brother stood up watching her with apprehension.

If Seth thought Mars looked like shit when he was seated then he was definitely wrong because now he looked like a homeless person running from loan sharks. He looked like he hadn't slept in days nor slept for that matter.

There were eyebags under his eyes and his hair looked like it hadn't met a comb for a couple of days.

"How's she doing?" Jessica asked and the next thing Mars said only landed him in hot soup.

"The CT scans came out fine. She's awake. She's awake, Jessica. I thought I lost her"

And she tensed beside him and he didn't have to guess that by now, she knew who Mars' mystery woman is.

"I'll--i'll go ahead", Jessica stuttered and he sauntered behind her.

He had vowed not to see Tessa again after everything he found out about her from Jabari. She was psychologically crazy for putting Jessica through all that.

And that's why even as he stared at the woman on top of the bed with bruises all over her body, cuts on her face and one leg in a cast, he didn't feel remorse. She deserved that and more and it took self restraint not to strangle her where she lay and end her.

His woman, the innocent woman she was,  couldn't help but cry over her bestfriend and that infuriated him and made him feel guilty. If only she knew who Tessa, what Tessa had done, she couldn't be by her bed side uttering sentimental words to her.

When Tessa turned her head slightly, her eyes locking with his. He could read her like a book. He could see a smile curl up in her swollen face.

He didn't want to read much to it but maybe she did it for attention. To gain public sympathy so that the masses would try everything they could to ruin his relationship with Jessica.

But he wasn't going to allow that.

Jessica loved him. He loved her. And that would stay the same till he met the Almighty.

Unable to look at her face or hear Jessica sob over someone who wasn't worth it, he quietly left the room.

"She did it because of you", Mars said behind him and he groaned not really wanting to start a fight in a hospital.

He spun around, "She did it for her. Tessa never does anything for someone except herself. I thought you would have known that by now"

"How can you say that? She made a mistake, we all make mistakes that doesn't make her a monster"

She was a monster. He wanted to say but for the sake of it, he said something else.

"A mistake is something you commit without knowing the consequence. Tessa did everything knowing full well she was going to hurt people. She hurt your sister for God's sake", he didn't intend to let the last part out but he had and Mars wasn't going to let that go.