38| knocked her up

*Knock someone up- make someone pregnant

SETH

The ringing in his ears didn't stop as he ducked together with Adviel. Her hands shaking on top of the center console, he glanced at her saying words that even he didn't believe.

"We are going to get through this. Nothing will happen"

She nodded. She smiled weakly believing in him. Believing in his words but even a blind man had ears and at the moment, bullets flew past his windscreen like hail.

For some reason, he didn't cower in fear because he knew one wrong move, one display of fear and the woman next to him would lose the little courage she was hanging onto.

"I--It stopped", she croaked and he listened hard enough.

A couple of muffled voices, shuffling of feet, later sirens that rekindled his hopes and he knew whatever madness the men in the Kabuki masks had started was over.

Slowly he lifted his head, scanning through the remains of his kaleidoscopic windscreen. They were gone. And not far from where his car was, the blue and red lights on the microscopic cars came nearer and nearer.

"I think it's over. The police are on their way and we have to move", he encouraged.

"I-I-I can't", she whispered, her voice so fragile that it touched him.

"Adviel, I know you are scared and so am I but we have to move. Hey, nothing is going to happen, the police are on their way, you hear me?"

"Okay"

Straining to get his door to open, he kicked it with his might. The fresh air came rushing in erasing the oil and smoke smell that had suffocated him in the car. His legs now on the hard tarmacked road, the police cars came parking right infront of him.

"There's a woman on the passenger's seat, she might need medical attention", he said telling latchkey police man who gazed at his car then at him.

Two police men struggled with the passenger's door before they finally yanked it open wrapping an LAPD jacket around her shoulders.

"Adviel", he called out watching the brunette run in his hands like a scared hare during open season.

"S--Seth I thought we'd-"

He parted from her, holding her cheeks and wiping the hair that had stuck to her face due to sweat.

"It's ok--"

And before the words ceremoniously left his mouth, a warm liquid spattered across his face and Adviel's body became limp in his arms.

"Ten-four! Shooter at the top of Briscon opposite Clay works! I repeat shooter at the top of Briscon opposite Clay...first window...to the right...backup...casualty...dead"