40| don't hurt her

SETH

SETH

"With Ms. Dupont gone, I have received more calls from the board, Sir. The employees are uneasy about the whole thing. Rumor has it that we are bankrupt that's why we are being targeted by our creditors"

"Set a meeting tomorrow at noon. Invite the board, the staff representative and whoever else has called you lately I'll address the issue then"

"Alright, Sir. And about Ms. Dupont? We have to find a replacement for her"

A replacement. It was like tossing away an old unwanted shirt and buying a new one.

"I'll look into that", he groaned scrubbing a hand over his face to hide his insomnia.

"Have a good night, Sir"

Shutting his laptop, he got off the stool taking a glass of water before looking at the dirty plates in the sink that awaited him.

After all the fuss and the stubbornness, she'd eaten the whole thing without as much as leaving one morsel of the so-called poison broccoli on her plate.

Now that he thought about it, she was rather quiet for a woman who couldn't obey orders and hated his place.

He walked to the living room, the room dark, his fifty-inch TV airing some show where half the people on there had bikinis and the men were practically shirtless.

Nestled in his Lockheed Lounge sofa, her head falling back, some of her loose strands of hair in her mouth her light snores filled the room and he got amused by the whole scene.

Kneeling on the floor, his eyes grazed the swelling on her stomach. He couldn't believe up until now that he was going to be a father. Again. With her.

He wouldn't want it any other way. And if he was being honest, the only woman he had imagined having kids with, was her. The woman who'd given up on their relationship without thinking twice.

A fool or not, he loved her.  He was madly in love with her even after weeks and weeks of separation. But he couldn't act on these feelings, he couldn't risk putting his all into a relationship that Jessica didn't value.

If they were going to be together he needed reassurance. Assurance that no one would break them apart. Assurance that when their love faced a butt load of problems, they would face them head-on together instead of splitting apart.

With a nervousness he didn't know he had, he drew his hand from the floor. Slowly, he placed his palm on her bump, a surge of happiness coursing through his veins.

He smiled in the dark, his heart beating as if just by the mere touch he was bonding with the little life in there.

"H-Hi", he croaked. His eyes pooled with tears but he was a man so he pulled himself together.

Rubbing his hand over her bump, he didn't care whether she woke her up. Life was growing inside of her. A life he had contributed to making.

"If you can hear me", of course, he couldn't but Seth thought that somehow in there, their baby could hear him and get used to his voice ", it's dada"