thirty four

it's been a few days since everything went down with vera. she hasn't done anything, just like i figured she wouldn't.

i woke up in my bed but joão wasn't next to me. his training doesn't start for a couple more days so i wondered where he was. i was too tired to get up though so i just stayed in bed, guessing that he was in the bathroom.

i closed my eyes, about to go back to sleep, but i heard footsteps approaching our door. joão walked in with two plates in his hands.

"good morning." he smiled. "and happy birthday!"

"what? how did you know?" i asked him.

"i got a call from your mom a few days ago." he smiled. "why didn't you tell me your birthday was coming up?"

"im sorry, i guess i just didn't care that much about it."

"it's okay." he smiled, handing me one of the plates he held. "here, eat this."

"breakfast in bed?" i smirked as i took it.

"more like brunch." he laughed. "it's already noon."

i looked at the plate and it was filled with my favorite breakfast foods. he made french toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon. i eagerly took a bite, how could i turn this down?

"oh my god. this is amazing. thank you so much." i smiled, setting the plate down on the nightstand to give him a hug.

he grabbed the other plate and sat in bed next to me as we ate. when we finished, he took our plates back downstairs and cleaned up.

i decided to open my phone and answer some messages. i had lots from my parents some from old friends that went to my school. i answered all of them before going on instagram.

i had so many notifications but i clicked on joão's profile. i smiled as i looked at the post that he made. i scrolled through the photos, most of them were cute pictures of us but he had also posted a couple off-guard photos that i didn't even know he has.

the caption read:
happy birthday to my favorite person in the world. i love you more than life itself.

i smiled to myself as i liked and commented a heart on the post. i got so many new followers from being mentioned. joão walked back upstairs when he was finished.

"your post was very sweet." i smiled. "i love you."

"i love you too." he smiled back and leaned down to kiss me. when he pulled back he said, "mateo and lina want to go out with us tonight. they want to have a birthday dinner for you."

"that sounds like fun!" i exclaimed.

-

a few hours later, we started to get ready. we took turns showering again. i wore a white sweater with a black mini skirt and joão wore black pants with a white button up.

i was standing in front of the mirror as i was finishing my makeup and i heard my phone ding. joão was already done so he stood behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist. sometimes he watched me do my makeup.

"hey joão?" i asked. "can you grab my phone for me please?"

"yeah, sure." he said and grabbed it from the bed. he looked at it and asked, "who's ryan?"

"ryan?" my face dropped. "what does he want?"

"he just said happy birthday and that he misses you."

"fuck." i said. "that's my ex."

"the one that cheated on you?" he asked, his face hardening.

"yes."

as if on cue, my phone started to ring. joão clicked the answer button and put it on speaker.

"hello?" he said.

"who's this?" ryan asked.

"bea's boyfriend." he answered.

"oh. well, can i talk to her?" he looked at me and i shook my head.

"no."

"why not?"

"she doesn't want to talk to you."

"she doesn't want to talk to me or you don't want her to talk to me?" he sounded annoyed.

"both." he said and hung up.

the phone started to ring again and instead of answering for a second time, joão let it ring.

"maybe i should take this. he won't stop calling if i don't talk to him." joão nodded, handing me the phone.

"what?" i answered, bringing the phone to my ear.

"bea? is it you this time?"

"yeah. it's me. what do you want?"

"chill, i just wanted to talk. so your with a footballer now." he sounded annoyed.

"yeah and what about it?"

"nothing. i just never imagined you living that kind of life."

"why do you even care?"

"because, he doesn't deserve you. i know i messed up before but i'm better now. break up with him, give me another chance. that's all i want."

"what the fuck. no." i raised my voice. "i would never give you another chance, let alone break up with the best thing that's ever happened to me. did you forget what you put me through or something?"

"i didn't forget. i've lived in guilt since we broke up. i know i didn't show it but you were my first love. i'm really sorry for how everything went but i've changed. i just want one more chance."

"no! joão is so, so, so much better than you. he'd never hurt me the way you did. i never want to hear from you again. lose this number and go eat shit."

i hung up the phone, turning away from joão as tears started to fill my eyes. i quickly grabbed a tissue, patting my eyes lightly, trying not to mess up my makeup.

"bea," he turned me to face him. "are you okay?"

"yes, i don't even know why i'm crying. i don't care about him anymore, at all. i literally hate him."

"it's okay, it's a normal reaction to have." he reassured me and pulled me into a hug.

"if he was going to call me he could have done it a different day. not my birthday of all days." i said, annoyed.

"come on, let's finish your makeup so we can go eat." he smiled, making me smile.

i finished my quickly finished my makeup and put on my shoes. i grabbed my purse as we walked out the door and to the car.

-

it's so crazy that tomorrow is the last day of 2022. this year has gone by so fastttt