fifty one

*time skip to 2026, world cup final. portugal vs. england for first place.*

these past four years with joão have been amazing. we've moved around a few times for new opportunities and different clubs but it's all worth it with him. i wouldn't trade it for the world.

we've had our fair share of arguments, but every couple has them. we've always made up and grew from them. i'm very happy with him, proud of how far we've come as a couple and how far he's come as a player.

in fact, he helped his team make it to the world cup final, scoring in every game so far. i brought lina with me to all the games, we went all out when we cheered. she even brought her boyfriend along with us. yes, i'm talking about noah. she gave in after a few days and finally texted him. he was very caring and sweet about her previous heartbreak.

when we moved away, she decided to stay in london for noah, she even ended up living with him. i'm happy for her, it's what she deserves.

we walked into the stadium early today because the team wanted to have a team meeting before warming up. everyone was standing around when joão, lina, noah, and i walked in.

i instantly saw some of the players that joão is friends with looking at us. they smirked at him and widened their eyes, raising their eyebrows. he flipped them off before their coach came over, leading them all into the locker room.

"i'll see you after the game. come find me on the field." joão smiled. "i love you."

"i love you too, you guys are going to do great! good luck!" he kissed me before following his team.

i watched as he ran off and pushed a few of his teammates lightly, causing laughter out of them. i wonder why they were looking at us like that, i thought.

we grabbed some snacks and drinks before going to sit down. joão's family was supposed to be coming to watch the game and sit with us, but i knew that they wouldn't be there until later.

about half an hour later, the stadium began to fill up. it already looked so crowded after a short amount of time.

"bea! it's so nice to see you again! we've missed you!" joão's mother engulfed me in a hug. our relationship had also grown closer, she was more like a friend than a person i needed to impress now.

"carla! i missed you! i missed all of you! it's so nice to see you all!" i hugged his father and his brother next.

"are you excited? i am!" carla clapped her hands together.

"yes, i'm so proud!"

"me too!"

the teams filed out onto the field as we took our seats. i saw joão, who pointed up to our seats and waved at us. we all waved back and laughed.

-

the game was nearly over, only about five minutes left. the score was 2-1 with england winning. portugal fans were quiet, praying that there would be some miracle that would give the team a chance to score.

even if they didn't win, i would still be happy. joão had scored the one goal that they had which was so crazy. he was the only person in this whole world cup to score in every single game. i was also happy to be 2nd place if that's what it came down to.

i was lost in thought when everyone around me started shouting out of anger.

"i missed it." i whispered to lina, who was next to me. "what happened?"

"joão was fouled in the box. it better be a penalty!" she responded.

as she hoped, it was. everyone around me was quiet in hope that whoever stepped up to take it, would make the shot. and guess who stepped up! joão. i watched intently, praying for it to go in.

the ref blew the whistle, signaling for joão to shoot. he took a step back and kicked it. it went right past the goalie and went in! everyone went crazy cheering and jumping around.

the game started up again and ended quickly. it was going into overtime.

-

it was almost over, everyone thought it would go into penalties. out of no where, the ball was played behind the defenders for joão to run onto. he dribbled up the field quickly and skillfully all the way into the goal box.

the goalie was about to go in for the tackle, but joão was quicker. he kicked it right past him and into the goal right before the ref blew the whistle meaning it was the end of the game.

we all jumped up from our seats and made our way down onto the field. i saw joão before he saw me and i ran up to him. he turned to me so i jumped into his arms, bringing him into a kiss.

"wow, world cup champion and a hat trick. i'm so happy for you." i said before kissing him again.

"thank you," he started and put me down. "i couldn't have done it without you."

one of his teammates came up to him and handed him something, whispering in his ear. he smiled and thanked him, pushing him away.

"you've been through it all with me. wins, losses, and ties. good games and bad games. not even just in football, in general. i love being able to call you my girlfriend, but lately i've been wishing i could call you more than that."

everyone had started to make a crowd around us, camera's pointed at us from all angles. he bent down, getting on one knee.

"bea, will you marry me?" he looked up at me with hope in his eyes as he opened the little box, revealing the most beautiful ring i had ever seen.

"say yes!" someone from the crowd cheered.

"yes!" i said. he jumped up right away, pulling me closer to him, embracing me in a kiss. everyone around us was already happy, but this made them even happier.

he took the ring out of the box, pushing it onto my finger before kissing me again. some of his teammates and some of my friends came over to congratulate us.

"i love you so much, you know that? i love you more than i've ever loved anything before."

"how could you not." i joked.

he looked at me with an expression that said, "are you serious."

"i'm just kidding, i love you too. more than anything."

he kissed me once more before being pulled away, being made mvp of the match.

i now realized why his teammates were giving us weird looks. i was pulled in for hugs by many people but my mind was somewhere else. i knew when i first met him that it would always end with him and i.

-

last chapter! i want to thank all of you for reading this. i put so much time and effort into writing this and i loved being able to share it with you. all of your guys comments are so funny i love reading them. thank you all again for reading this story, almost 100k that's so crazy. i love you all sm!!

my new book is going to be called 'can't have it all' and it's going to be a ff about gavi and pedri! the first chapter is probably going to come out tomorrow so make sure you check it out! also if you guys have any ideas, make sure you comment them or send them to me!