SEASON ONE ; the day it all ended

+                                  +                                     +

The day that brought the destruction of everything they'd built began as any other day.  The sun rose lazily over the New York skyline, and since it was early May, the world around them was still cool enough for the mornings to be chilly.

So, it was pretty commonplace for someone to be awake at an ungodly hour, lighting fires to prepare for the day ahead. And (y/n)? Well, she often rose with the sun - not of her own accord, of course. Before the apocalypse, she'd relished in sleeping in every day that she could, but since every day brought the possibility of literal death... well, she changed her mind and wanted to take advantage of every possible second.

There were a few permanent buildings turned into places for people to sleep, but there was never enough room for everyone and besides - if the weather was warm why not sleep outside?

The little tent (y/n) shared with a woman named Addy was cozy, showcasing what little belongings each of them had. As per usual, (y/n) was awake before her roommate and did her morning stretching. If there was anything she'd learned from this hellish situation, it was that you couldn't really survive with doing some yoga first thing in the morning.

Everyone else, of course, thought she was a bit insane for prioritizing this first thing, but she didn't want to get caught by zombie after failing to run fast enough, kudos to tight hamstrings.

When she was ready to face another day, she threw on her last set of clothes - a green long sleeved and some black cargo pants - before lacing up her boots and stepping outside. Already, there were children running around, chasing one another because they had nothing better to do.

"Good morning!" One of their mothers called, doing some laundry and hanging it to dry.

"Hey, Mrs. Garcia!" (y/n) waved back, smiling brightly.

Things seemed very normal, but she should have known they wouldn't stay that way for long.

              ➳Garnett and Warren, the iconic duo who kickstarted this life for the New York survivors, strode through the camp, looking like people she wouldn't want to mess with.

"Garnett." she whistled, getting his attention "who are those guys?" she jacked her thumb over her shoulder, gesturing to a military official who was deep in conversation with a hunched man wearing a coat - who'd looked like he'd seen better days.

The man shook his head. "Don't really know, don't trust them either." He sighed, running his hand through his hair and fiddling with his walkie. (Y/n) frowned, but Roberta stepped forward.

"Hey, sweetness," she greeted, like that of a mother "Doc was going to take Addy and Mack outside of camp today, why don't you go with them? Forage a bit for us?" The girl nodded, excitedly.