SEASON ONE; tornado alley

The group had travelled far in recent days, making it all the way to a little town in Illinois. It was cute, (y/n) noticed immediately upon their arrival. Whoever built it had included an electric fence surrounding the property - which kept the zombies at bay.

Currently, everyone was simply enjoying themselves, taking a much-needed break from the apocalypse. It felt nice, comforting to simply exist without struggling to survive. The kitchen had electricity and water still, so they'd all refilled their bottles; until Garnett found a tin of coffee in the pantry.

The aroma flooded every room, making it smell like a dream. (y/n) lazed on the floor, sitting with one knee up, sharping her knives on the bottom of a ceramic mug she'd found. The sound of her knife gliding across the rough surface was steady, and she glanced over to see 10k reading a magazine.

They hadn't talked since that night they went stargazing; a few days ago now. Sometimes, the girl felt like it was one step forward, and then three steps back with that boy. A tough egg to crack, but she'd manage just fine.

She took a deep breath through her nose, and followed it into the kitchen. "Coffee," she mumbled dreamily, grabbing a cup and pouring herself some. "ugh, I love you," Doc laughed, interrupting the gambling card game him and Murphy had been playing.

"You talkin' to me?" He asked "or the coffee?" The girl shook her head, smiling.

"You, of course!" She stuck her tongue out at him before sipping the nearly-scalding liquid.

"Shh," Garnett shushed everyone "he's back on." They'd been listening to Citizen Z's latest, nearly unhinged radio show the past day or so. He'd taken on to using different voices, whichever the occasion called for.

"Friends," his voice came over the music he'd previously been spinning "I'm talking about mean weather coming in fast. Some reports of tornadoes. Find shelter and take cover; it's more dangerous out there than usual. Now, back to the soothing sounds of the apocalypse." His taste in music wasn't half bad, but (y/n) wished for her old playlists to listen to.

Everything seemed better with music. Thanking Garnett for the coffee, the girl wandered back into the living room, taking a second to peek over 10k's shoulder.

"Whatcha reading?" She asked playfully, seeing that it was the same annoying celebrity drama predating the apocalypse. He wasn't given a chance to answer, however, because Addy and Mack burst in the door.

Addy, upon seeing the two young people's interaction, eyed up (y/n) with that scheming, elder sister sort of look. Mack walked into the kitchen, telling Warren and Garnett it was their turn for watch.

"Nice night?" (y/n) asked her best friend, who nodded.

"Peaceful night." The girl smiled at her, before she followed her lover into the kitchen.