SEASON TWO; capitalist nightmare

➳The wildfire smoke forced its way down (y/n)'s throat, despite the bandana that Tommy had hastily given her before he ran headfirst into the fray

                                          ➳The wildfire smoke forced its way down (y/n)'s throat, despite the bandana that Tommy had hastily given her before he ran headfirst into the fray. It was almost impossible to see through the thick, choking smog. 

It was almost as if the smoke itself damaged her memory, as the fight-or-flight instinct took over when the zombies began rising out of the smoke like phantoms.

(y/n) panted, trying to figure out the way back to the others. The car had broken down - that much she could remember. She knew they were surrounded by trees, because there was still bark stuck to the back of her shirt from where Tommy had pressed her against one the day before in a moment of fleeting privacy. 

 Axe in hand, she continued to wade through the smoke that burned her nostrils in an attempt to find her family. 

"Addy!" She cried, her throat hoarse. A zombie arose from the wall of smoke in front of her, and she was quick to heave the blade into its skull, before spinning to the left to avoid another set of chomping jaws. 

With a cry, the girl ripped the axe from the zombie's skull and flung it in the other's direction. As the creature fell to the ground, a set of unnaturally strong arms latched onto her shoulders, and sour breath plumed against the back of her neck. 

Her heart pounded in her chest as she dropped to her knees and pulled the pistol from her holster, so when the thing flew over her shoulder she was ready to give it mercy. 

Distantly, she heard her name being called. Sweet relief flooded her veins as she recognized the voice that belonged to a certain light-eyed sharpshooter, and her legs began pumping to carry her closer to the sound. 

Blessedly, she saw the boy crouched on a pile of rocks, his sniper held aloft as he picked off a few zombies that had approached Doc. She halted as she watched a lumbering form approaching him from behind - panic spiking. 

Quickly, the girl bent down to retrieve a thin throwing knife with a long blade - one of her favorites - before launching it through the air towards the zombie. 

Please don't hit him, she prayed, knowing well enough that she never missed. When the zombie went down with a thump, she released a breath. Tommy's eyes met hers across a bloody battlefield full of littered corpses, silently thanking her. 

She grinned at him, the bandana hiding her happiness at finding him alive. 

"Murphy!" He called, not wasting a minute. They launched back into action, racing through the forest to protect the savior of the human race. 

When they'd regrouped - everyone alive and not craving brains - they quickly carried on, wanting to get the hell out of the damn forest. For a girl who had loved the forest her entire life, (y/n) could not wait to put the towering trees and birdsong behind her.