SEASON TWO; save a horse, ride a cowboy

➳This was the first time in the girl's lifetime that she'd been in a camper van

                                    ➳This was the first time in the girl's lifetime that she'd been in a camper van. Pre-Z, the idea of travelling the world in a cute little van sounded fun, but when you're running for your life, "fun" isn't exactly high up on the list of priorities. 

It kept them alive, instead of running for their lives, and that was enough for her. It didn't matter that they were cramped together in the small space, because her lungs were inflating and she didn't have a craving for brains. 

Her knee rested atop Tommy's as they sat on the ground, him and Addy working on something to contact Citizen Z with, and (y/n) flipping through a first aid kit she found under the front seat. 

"Where are we?" Warren asked groggily from the front seat.

"About a hundred miles north of Flagstaff, I'm thinking," Doc piped up from the driver's seat, where he'd been since (y/n) finished her shift. "I dunno how much longer this old bucket of bolts is gonna keep running." He sighed, and the rattling of the engine seemed more pronounced when he said something about it. 

(y/n) fished around in the first-aid kit, stumbling across a bright yellow rain poncho. She nudged Tommy's arm. "Remind me to wear this next time we go out scouting." The corner of his mouth quirked up, and his blue eyes lingered on her face. 

"Talking about yourself or the rig?" Addy snorted, her sarcastic comments never failing to cheer (y/n) up.

Doc laughed. "Both. And I think we're getting near the Grand Canyon."

(y/n) lifted her head from the first-aid kit, which was like a treasure chest in this post-apocalyptic world. "Grand Canyon?" 

"I went there once when I was a kid," Murphy muttered from the bedroom in the back "It was beautiful."

When they were all silent - looking at him in disbelief - he glared at them. "What? Can't believe I was a kid once?" (y/n) snorted ironically. 

"Actually, no, I can't."

"Whatever, pipsqueak." 

"Warren!" The girl called to her mother figure. "Murphy called me Pipsqueak again!" Warren sighed, while (y/n) smiled sweetly at the man, who grumbled. 

"Murphy, what did I tell you about that? Don't make her lay you out on your ass again." Warren warned, which must have worked because Murphy said nothing. 

"Um," Warren said, moving to sit in the passenger seat beside Doc. "What's that?" She looked out the windshield, (y/n) following her gaze to the dust plumes rising up from the desert around them. The girl frowned.