SEASON ONE; painful irony

➳(y/n) had always known things happen for a reason, no matter how horrible they seem in the beginning

                           ➳(y/n) had always known things happen for a reason, no matter how horrible they seem in the beginning. Even the apocalypse had happened, and the girl liked to believe it was to show her her true family, and maybe this was the kind of world she belonged in. 

However, less and less lately, had she believed this to be true. With everything they'd encountered since adopting this mission, the perfect synchronization of the universe had seemingly fallen out of balance. 

But, then again, maybe she was wrong. 

"No Zs in sight," Mack, back from watch, told everyone. They'd stopped for a rest break for their "special cargo", for the 3rd time that day. They hadn't even had much water - she wasn't totally sure she understood how it was possible for him to have to keep stopping. She also wasn't totally sure if she wanted to know. 

"Anybody else worried about Mr. Sunshine out there?" Doc asked no-one in particular, but he was speaking their thoughts. 

"I know," Garnett gave his opinion distractedly "he's been looking worse." Roberta nodded.

"Yeah, and he was pretty creepy to start out with," she said honestly, the bluntness of her tone bringing a ghost of a smile to (y/n)'s lips. 

"Come on guys," Addy said, trying to defend him. "give him a break; it's the apocalypse, none of us look our best." (y/n) nodded sagely. 

"It's like one long, horrible bad hair day." She commented sadly, missing with a pang luxuries she'd taken for granted before the apocalypse. 

"Speaking of hair," Mack piped up "what's with all the bald patches?" (y/n) shrugged, but Cassandra answered. 

"Maybe that vaccine is like zombie chemo?" she guessed, a shot in the dark. 10k frowned.

"Maybe the vaccine isn't working." He pointed out, very fairly. More and more each day he was beginning to look a little too un-dead for (y/n)'s liking. As if he could sense them talking about him, the man in the field turned around to stare at them. 

Each of them continued looking on, not even trying to hide it. 

"What do you think, Doc?" Garnett asked his opinion, being an almost-doctor and all. The older man shrugged. 

"I've seen Zs look better than him," he informed - which (y/n) could confirm with a little shudder. Zs that look almost human - normally freshly turned - but it was the eyes that gave them away. 

Well, that and the growling.

"Will he make it to California?" Garnett mumbled, not really a question, more like a thought.

"If we haul ass," Doc commented, most of his humor gone. (y/n) snorted. 

"Yeah," she scoffed "and I'm the tooth fairy." she muttered, and 10k chuckled lightly - which was about as much as she'd gotten out of him since their little stargazing expedition.