SEASON ONE; back where we started

(this chapter reminds me of As the World Caves In!!)

                                 ➳They heard no gunshot; no signal of Cassandra giving herself final mercy. (y/n) dreaded that they might go back and find her undead corpse, trying to eat them alive. It was the only thought that swirled through her mind as the made their way into a lab, rumored to be where they would find Dr. Merch. 

Well, shit. 

Of course, you couldn't expect much when there was a trail of gore leading you someplace - everybody knew that. However the group seemed to have gained, over, time, a sense of stupid bravery, risking everything for the chance of something better.

In the lab, a creature lay on the table. From afar, it didn't appear to be living. Upon closer inspection, however, revealed another truth. "Oh my god," (y/n) breathed, putting a hand over her mouth when she heard it gurgling. 

"It's alive?" Warren asked no one in particular, it was more of a statement, anyway. 

"Is that Doctor Merch?" Doc sounded pretty freaked out - (y/n) didn't blame him in the slightest.

 Murphy went forwards to pay more attention to the dying thing on that gurnery. It looked like it was trying to type out a message on the nearby computer, but that couldn't be right. 

Could it?

"No, someone else," Murphy mumbled distractedly. "the lab tech from the video." (y/n) furrowed her eyes. 

"How is he still alive?" She asked, desperate for answers - something to grasp onto in this dark world. And 10k, still, was being distant - both physically and otherwise. 

"That ain't living," Doc said wisely, staring on in sadness. 

"He wants us to watch something," Murphy told them, and pressed a few buttons to bring up the video. It was of the same man from before - Protocol Guy, (y/n) called him - this time, strapped to a table and being tested. 

(y/n) could almost smell his fear, and she felt like she might throw up at the lengths doctors went, justifying the pain of others to keep society safe. It was bullshit. 

"The vaccine must have worked," Doc offered, not very happily. "Kept him from turning zombie." 

"But won't let him die," Warren interjected, emotion lacing her voice. 

"Did Merch do this to you?" Murphy asked the thing, which almost nodded. (y/n) swallowed thickly, keeping one hand on her axe. "he's trying to say something." 

"Kill me." the words, so quiet they were almost imperceptible. It was one task that it requested, but it was the principle of why he asked that had (y/n) so upset.