SEASON ONE; chaos

                            ➳The next morning, the gang packed up their little camp and started off on their journey West. Reeling with loss or not, (y/n) knew only more people would meet Garnett's fate if they neglected the mission they'd be assigned. 

Somewhere along the line, in a small garage, Mack and Addy managed to get a dirt bike up and running after a litany of curses and lots of noise that had the two sharpshooters busy for the better part of an hour. 

It seemed they could never escape the Zs, at least not until Ten Thousand - Tommy - reached his goal and kept climbing. 

The sun was crawling along the skyline as they drove, and the girl guessed it was mid-morning when Citizen Z's voice came over the radio. Cassandra reached an arm back to slide open the window and the volume was turned up, so the two young people could hear what the man had to say. 

"Good morning, people. Welcome to the third day of the sixth month of the year 03 A.Z," He began, voice monotone. So it was June, then. Only about a month until the girl's birthday. 

"If you're listening to this, it means you're still alive. So congratulations. Or condolences. You know, whatever. If you're noticing more despair in my voice than usual today, it's because we lost someone special," (y/n) swallowed a lump in her throat. Inside, she was still hurting. Terribly. But knowing that she still had people to live for? That's what kept her going.

"I know, we lose people all the time. Getting your face chewed off by a Z is more common than making it to your next birthday. But this guy... This one's worth mentioning." Oh, he certainly was, she thought - leaning against 10k's legs by the window. 

"Charles Garnett, First Sergeant, Army National Guard Reservist, was an honest to God, real life, actual good guy. He fought for other people, not just for his own survival. And he did something that's pretty much impossible these days. He gave people hope. Remember hope?" 

"Remember thinking that we might actually come out on the other side of this thing? Yeah. That. Sergeant Garnett died trying to give us a reason to hope. And for that... Sergeant Charles Garnett. On behalf of a grateful nation, or whatever the hell we are now, we salute you."

It was touching, really, how he'd never even met Garnett in person and somehow managed to perfectly capture all that he was. Because, the thing about her departed friend was: he was constantly, subconsciously, always looking out for them. 

In the end, that's what got him killed. 

"Are you okay?" The boy beside her asked quietly, taking a break from standing guard. The girl shrugged. 

"I'm trying," she explained "I really am." She couldn't help but notice how pensive he looked, lost in thought just staring at her. Apparently, he noticed too - because he took a quick glance at Cassandra and stood back up.